Not reading Partitions

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by SteveB, Mar 4, 2007.

1. SteveB

SteveB

I have Vista set up presently as a dual boot and to be honest I love it over XP Pro and would convert to my main except for one thing.

I have 5 physical hard drives on my system. 3 of them have only 1 partition and 2 consist of 4 partitions each. XP reads everything just fine BUT Vista only sees all partitions on 1 of the 2. In other words it does not see 3 partitions on one physical drive BUT does see the 4th partition and ssay that the balance is not being used.

Has anyone heard of this before and if so do you have a solution

SteveB, Mar 4, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. SteveB

Jason

You can open up disc management under administrative tools and create the partitions from within vista. That is as long as you have no data on them. This will definitely assure vista recognizes them. I suggest moving data off them and crating the partitions from within vista.

Jason, Mar 5, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. SteveB

1ppo

I think I went through something pretty similar to you. When I first started using Vista, one of my SATA HD's was read as a "dynamic" disk and Windows wouldn't let me access it unless I changed it to a "basic" disk. Changing it to basic, however, would have to involve formatting the entire drive. I used R-studio (it was able to access the drive when Windows could not) to recover all my files before I converted the HD to basic. I think that that was my only option. Hope this helps!

1ppo, Mar 5, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question