Not letting me install XP over vista...

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Mekkahfire, Feb 17, 2007.

1. Mekkahfire

Mekkahfire

:((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((( *cry* someone help!

Mekkahfire, Feb 17, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Mekkahfire

Jason

Ya we are going to need some details if you want more help...

Jason, Feb 17, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Mekkahfire

VistaRocks

Are you trying to wipe out VISTA and reinstall XP? Yes more info would be helpfull.

VistaRocks, Feb 17, 2007
  4. Mekkahfire

Mekkahfire

Uhh what kind of info?

I bought a new HP laptop with Vista. I hate it. I want XP on.

I put the disk in, and went to the boot screen. Its telling me i dont have any harddisks installed on the drive.

HP DV6265US

Processor
    Intel Centrino Duo mobile technology featuring Intel Core 2 Duo processor T5500; 1.66GHz

Operating system
    Genuine Windows Vista Home Premium

Memory
    2048MB DDR2 SDRAM

Graphics card
    Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 with up to 256MB (shared video memory)

Hard drive
    160GB (5400RPM) SATA Hard Drive [gigabyte is defined as 1,000,000,000 bytes, accessible capacity may vary]

Primary CD/DVD drive
    LightScribe Super Multi 8x DVD+/-R/RW with Double Layer Support

Display
    15.4" WXGA High-Definition BrightView Widescreen (1280x800) Display

Wireless connectivity
    Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection

Digital media
    5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards, MultiMedia cards, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, or xD Picture cards

External ports
    3 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0 2 Headphone out - 1 w/SPDIF Digital Audio & 1 stereo 1 microphone-in 1 notebook expansion port 3 1 IEEE 1394 Firewire (4-pin) 1 Consumer IR

Communications
    Integrated 10/100 Base-T Ethernet LAN (RJ-45 connector); high speed 56k modem

Dimensions
    14.05" (L) x 10.12" (W) x 1" (min H)/1.69" (max H)

Weight 6.09 lb.

Sound
    Internal Altec Lansing Speakers

Finish and Features HP Imprint Finish & HP Pavilion WebCam with Integrated Microphone

Mekkahfire, Feb 17, 2007
  5. Mekkahfire

VistaRocks

I guess XP doesnt recognize VISTA. Have you tried finding a program to do a low level format? This one might work for ya. Then you should be able to install XP after. Im not sure if it will work with VISTA so its use at your own risk.

Why do you want to go back to XP if you don't mind my asking?

VistaRocks, Feb 18, 2007
  6. Mekkahfire

mrsdoyle

You have a SATA hard drive and you need to load the driver for it when you are loading XP at some point at the beginning of the installation it will ask you if you need to load any third party drivers, put your SATA drivers on a floppy or cd and install them then carry on with the xp installation. It's ok to remove the XP disk during the install and put in another disk with drivers on, then put back in the XP disk and carry on with the installation.

mrsdoyle, Feb 18, 2007
  7. Mekkahfire

kingofnexus

People pay good money for vista home premiem. While your doing it just think of all those people less fortunate than your self who would love to have vista premium installed on their computers.

kingofnexus, Feb 19, 2007
  8. Mekkahfire

GruntGuy

Hi guys

I'm having problems similar to what Mekkahfire is having.

I had Vista Ultimate installed on my HP dv8333ea notebook pc, though it wasn't technically a legal copy of Vista. We wont need to delve into that. Anyway, I tried to activate it, and failed, so I tried to revert back to Windows XP.

I get the same error, with the Windows installation telling me that it can't detect any installed hard disks on the pc. I tried multiple methods of trying to get Windows XP back, none of them worked. I tried installing directly from my Windows XP disk, and that failed. I tried reinstalling from the recovery partition already on the laptop, and that didn't work. I tried reinstalling directly from the HP Recovery cd's which came with the laptop, and those didn't work either.

I also tried installing Linux; Suse 10.2, but that failed too.

I've been hearing rumours that once a computer has had Windows Vista installed on it, It's very hard to revert back to a previous edition of Windows.

My (rough) laptop specs are as follows; (sorry, I dont have the complete details)

Centrino Duo 1.66ghz

1Gb RAM

160Gb HDD (x2 80Gb HDD)

Nvidia Geforce Go 7600 256mb VRAM

and I guess thats pretty much the important stuff that needs to be known.

Will that fix (given above) definately work for my laptop? I may not be able to download it.. I'm at boarding school and there are very strong filters and restrictions, particularly against downloading files.

I really appreciate any help you guys can give.

Many thanks,

-Grunt

P.S. I no longer have a working operating system on my laptop. During the HP Recovery process, Vista was removed, and XP was partially installed, and won't load. I thus have no OS installed, and I can't install any, other than perhaps Vista again.

GruntGuy, Feb 23, 2007
  9. Mekkahfire

mrsdoyle

What a mess, If you really have buggered it you will have to zero and format the disk, If you are lucky you will only have to format it. If you have SATA hard drive go get the drivers for it or you will not get anywhere. Do some research BEFORE you mess about with your pc.

mrsdoyle, Feb 23, 2007
  10. Mekkahfire

kingofnexus

Good advice there doyle, but thats only good for the next time he decides to do something like this.

Are your HD's seperate partitons of have you Raid 0 them. That could be the problem in not recognising your HD's properly. In that case when booting the XP cd select the option to install a seperate driver and install the required Raid driver so that windows can correctly install onto your HD's. A way of getting round this is to disable the raid in the bios and use it as 2 seperate drives.

Youve probably already have reformatted your HD's but in case you havent try that first.

kingofnexus, Feb 23, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question