Not getting what I should?

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Jynx, Feb 3, 2007.

1. Jynx

Jynx

For years I had been running Windows XP SP2 w/ an Intel P4 2.4Ghz w/ 2GB PC2700.

The system ran great.

But this tax time I figured I'd just go ahead and upgrade, for the hell of it if anything.

I did some researching before I went out and bought all my parts and felt I was putting a great system together.

I didn't plan on upgrading my video card yet so I didn't drop a lot on it, but I had to upgrade since my previous card was AGP and the new one while not top line is a bit better.

I don't really feel like I'm getting a lot of great system performance. For what I went from and to I should be noticing a lot.

My video score brought down my Vista rating to a 3.0 but even my memory scores weren't as high as what I saw some getting with LESS RAM!

Maybe I need to do some bios tweaks? I don't know what some things should be set at so its all default, like memory timing..etc I'm not to proficient with that, I figure its set to what it should be per the memory..etc.

Here are my system specs, maybe you all can give me some suggestions.

Windows Vista Ultimate

Intel Core 2 DUO 6600 2.4G 4M 1066 S775

AW9D MAX 975X 775 ATX Motherboard

PNY GeForce 7300 GS 256MB PCI-E x16 Video Card

OCZ 2GB DDR2-800 6400 Dual Channel Revision 2 Platinum XTC Series Memory Kit

Thanks

Jynx, Feb 3, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Jynx

snorbaard

With those specs, you should definitely be getting higher than a 3. The 7300 is the budget card of the 7xxx series, but still.. I'm getting 4.9 on my AGP 7800gs (not that it helps when playing Oblivion, but that's another story), which is an AGP card, so you should surely be getting at least 4.

For troubleshooting, making sure you have the latest drivers (nVidia released drivers in Jan, and they were much better than the ones that came on the Vista disc). Also, I'd look into the size of the power supply - maybe your card needs more juice?

snorbaard, Feb 14, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Jynx

fakesnake

sorry to butt in but i have the same card as that and mine is given a score of 5.9.

fakesnake, Feb 15, 2007
  4. Jynx

Jynx

Well it does have the latest drivers from Nvidia.

I'm looking for vista capable tool for a NON nvidia based Motherboard to OC the card and squeeze a bit more out of it.

Now I did improve over all system performance because I forgot to put the mem in dual channel mode and I also had to go into the memory and set the proper voltage on the mem so I could set it to DDR2 800.

The video however is still what is keeping me at 3.

Jynx, Feb 15, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question