Not enough memory to complete this operation

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by brjohnsmith, Feb 18, 2007.

1. brjohnsmith

brjohnsmith

Hi,

I have been trying to copy some folders from external HDD and whenever I do it, I receive the message. I noticed that if the folder is not big, the copy is completed, but if it is a little big, I receive the message. I also have tried to use drag-and-drog, but it is the same thing.

Does anyone know how to solve it?

Thanks.

brjohnsmith, Feb 18, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. brjohnsmith

Crispy

Increase the Virtual Memory. I do not know how to do this in Vista but increasing the Virtual Memory may help.

Crispy

Crispy, Feb 18, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. brjohnsmith

BermudaLee

To do this, right click on "Computer" then select "properties" (or do windows key+PauseBreak key) then (on the left) select "advanced system properties" then "advanced" then "Settings..." under the performance section, then "Advanced" then "Change..."

Phew!

BermudaLee, Feb 18, 2007
  4. brjohnsmith

brjohnsmith

Hi,

Vitual Memory is managing by Windows, are you saying to change the values? How I would know the value to be changed? Being Windows the manager, Wouldnt Windows handle it for me?

Have you had the same problem and changing this value you fix it?

Thanks.

5. brjohnsmith

VistaRocks

How much physical memory do you have? Yes you can do the virtual memory change and it should help. But remember that it uses your HD space to do this.

VistaRocks, Feb 18, 2007
  6. brjohnsmith

brjohnsmith

Hi,

I am using laptop Pentium M 1.8GHz, 2GB RAM and 60GBRAM...I noticed that Vista was managing 2346MB and the suggestion is 3069MB. However, I was not able to change it, because, whenever I change it, the next boot, the values come back to the original value - 2346MB, even if I uncheck the management by Vista.

Does anyone have other idea or suggestion?

Thanks.

7. brjohnsmith

BermudaLee

How much space is left on your hard drive? Go to "Computer" then (assuming the view is set to tiles) underneath your Local Disc (C:) (or whatever your hard drive is) there should be a little bar telling you how much space there is left. If the view is not on tiles, then a right click will give you a pie chart of how much space is left.

Do you have one partition or two on the hard drive?

If two to which partition have you sent the swap (page) file?

I'd be surprised if it's this, I would expect you to be getting a "disk full" or "low disk space" or something similar error, but it may be a further clue.

After you change the value of the pagefile size, do you click "set" and then restart?

BermudaLee, Feb 18, 2007
  8. brjohnsmith

brjohnsmith

Hi,

I have just one partition. As I said, I have 60GB HDD, and 23GB is fulfilled, so I have more than 30GB free, and the memory virtual is suggeting 3GB...it is enough, but I was not able to set this value.

Yes, I set yes and restart the computer, but the value is still the same - 2346MB.

Have you tried it in your computer? Have you tried to copy folders (big folders, more than 400MB, for example)?

Is this situation happen only with me?

Thanks.

9. brjohnsmith

BermudaLee

The biggest folder I copied (contains many sub folders) was 5GB in size - my old Pictures folder from a USB2 external HD I use for backups.

I have 4GB RAM, and a 6GB pagefile, most of which is on a separate partition - I moved it via the procedure I outlined above, but left some on my root partition.

I know that's no help, I'll think a bit more about this.

Does your PC recognise all of the memory (I'm guessing yes, due to the suggested pagefile size)?

BermudaLee, Feb 19, 2007
  10. brjohnsmith

brjohnsmith

Hi,

Yes, the computer recognizes 2GB.

If the solution is to set the virtual machine bigger than it is being used, how I can do it, since the computer doesnt allow to change to the recommended.

Note: When I used Windows XP Pro, this didnt happen.

Thanks

brjohnsmith, Feb 19, 2007
  11. brjohnsmith

kingofnexus

Open up task manager (ctrl + shift + esc) and go to the performance tab. How much memory does it say is being used? A screenshot would be helpful try and attach one to your post.

kingofnexus, Feb 19, 2007
  12. brjohnsmith

brjohnsmith

Hi,

I didn’t do it to know the memory usage, on Windows Vista you have a new gadget that allows knowing in the side bar. I think that is the same showed in the task bar. When I try to copy the folder, it takes about 80-90%, however, I need to tell you, on Windows XP, it doesn’t happen, even if the memory reaches the limit.

I think there is something wrong in somewhere in the configuration, because I have been noticing that there is no one with this problem. At least, nobody has tested it yet.

Thanks.

brjohnsmith, Feb 19, 2007
  13. brjohnsmith

brjohnsmith

Hi,

I installed vmware with WXP, and by this operating system I got to copy the folders, but I am still have problem copying folders over Vista.

Anyone has any clue....

Thanks.

brjohnsmith, Feb 21, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question