not allowed to change automatic update settings?! WTF?

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by dustinfrank, Feb 26, 2008.

1. dustinfrank

dustinfrank

ok so i realized this morning that i am blocked from changing the automatic update settings, even though i'm logged as an administrator! I even read the pinned post about "unhiding" the REAL administrator account, followed the instruction and the administrator login DID appear. But even through that login, i cannot change the settings in the Windows update. Maddening. Maybe its a minor issue but its my machine and i want control! I don't want the update to run at 3:00 am and especially with SP1 out soon i want to be there when it happens.

Can anyone help out with this.

Much appreciated.

dustinfrank, Feb 26, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. dustinfrank

WAW8

How are you trying to change the WU settings -- WU Control Panel or Security Center?

You can shut down automatic update temporarily by issuing the following command from an elevated command prompt:

net stop wuauserv

That failing, you should be able to stop automatic updates by setting the WU service to manual.

Also, you should be aware that there are reports that Windows Live One Care resets WU to automatic -- without asking, and without permission. So, if you're running this, I would both disable and remove it.

If you're primarily worried about SP1, I've read that the following will block it's installation:

1) Open the registry edit

2) Navigate to HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate

3) Right click -> New -> DWORD value

4) Name is DoNotAllowSP (it's case sensitive)

5) Set the data value as 1

6) Exit out of regedit

I've not tried this, but if you can't prevent SP 1 any other way, it's worth a shot.

WAW8, Feb 26, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. dustinfrank

dustinfrank

Thanks... i've tried through the control panel and security center. And i can't even change it to manual... i can't change anything about them.

dustinfrank, Feb 27, 2008
  4. dustinfrank

Jason

When you say you are "Blocked", what does the message say or what appears which leads you to believe it is "Blocked"?

Jason, Feb 27, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question