Norton...how I hate Norton...

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Heel, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Heel

Heel

New Dell 1501 came with Norton Trial as some of you know. I uninstalled and loaded AVG and all was fine. Well, I had to restore for another reason and it took me back to Norton of course. When I try to uninstall it says something like module is missing. When I try to go into Windows Explorer and uninstall by deleting, it says I do not have permission to do this. Vista is a little different I would say. Any help appreciated. I want to get rid of Norton... bottom line.

Heel, Jan 5, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Heel

MrMagic

Go to the Symantec web site and you can download a utility that will completely eliminate ALL Norton/Symantec products, all the programs, services, reg entries, everything! Its a 'click & forget' utility that takes everything off. I think you do have to fill out a short form to get the download but it is available and it does work.

Steve

MrMagic, Jan 5, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Heel

Heel

Thanks for the response. However, after checking the requirements at Symantec, I see that you have to be able to OPEN the Norton product. I should have mentioned that I cannot open the Norton module. So, unless there is a work-a-round this tool is no good to me.

Heel, Jan 6, 2008
  4. Heel

kingofnexus

Did you try to use it anyway?

And symantec wonders why everyone who has the slightest bit of knowledge about computers hates their products.

kingofnexus, Jan 6, 2008
  5. Heel

Heel

I guess by your response you are being your usual SMART *** and not reading into the original posting. What a question. But, I guess typical for a 'I'm better than you' BRIT or whatever you may be.

For others reading this posting, I think it is fairly clear that Norton was deleted, uninstalled, computer restored to a previous point, Norton came back but not in the same mode as now it cannot be removed using normal procedure. So, the query remains if anyone knows a work around since the program will not open, cannot be uninstalled, cannot be deleted using normal procedure, thus, Symantec is no help.

Heel, Jan 6, 2008
  6. Heel

WAW8

Heel:

If you could drop your arrogance for a moment, you might learn that you do NOT need Norton installed to run the Symantec clean routine. Why? Because, I tried it on a machine that doesn't have any Norton or Symantec products installed -- and it ran fine.

If you had run the clean routine, which strips everything from the machine (Norton and Symantec), including registry entries, there would be nothing to "come back".

So, download the symantec clean routine and run it.

WAW8, Jan 14, 2008
  7. Heel

bob2701

Make sure you download the correct removal tool for your version.

Bob

bob2701, Jan 24, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question