Norton Firewall

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by evets55, Jan 17, 2012.

1. evets55

evets55

I recently had problems with my computer (Vista Home Premium) running very slowly. By playing around with the System Configuration I narrowed it down to my Norton Internet Security (anti-virus and firewall). I uninstalled Norton and am now using AVast for anti-virus and was going to use the default Windows firewall but Control Panel reports that the Norton firewall is still running on my computer. I don't know why, since I uninstalled it, and I can't find anything that will allow me to turn it off. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Steve

evets55, Jan 17, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. evets55

WAW8

Norton has been notoriously difficult to completely remove...

Go to the Symantec website and look for something called the Norton Removal Tool (NRT). Download the latest version to your PC and install it. Then run it.

It will remove all traces of Symantec (Norton) products from your PC.

WAW8, Jan 17, 2012
    1. Advertisements

3. evets55

evets55

Thanks for the response. I am now having big troubles and am very confused. While on the net this afternoon all of a sudden I lost the net and got a slick looking page popup "Vista Antivirus 2012". It said I had no internet protection and it was dangerous to continue. I then tried a Safe Mode startup, which did not get rid of the Vista Antivirus window. My attempt to run "msconfig" was thwarted. A "System Restore" just sat there. I am not sure how I got back on to the net and am still getting messages from them. For instance, I just tried to fire up "Quicken" and got a message that "Vista Antivirus 2012 has blocked a program from accessing the internet" It gives me a choice to activate the antivirus or continue unprotected. Clicking yes offers me the choice at $59.95 for a 1 year liscence. Every 5 minutes or so I get a warning message coming from a security icon in the system tray about some dire consequence that is likely to befall my computer. Like I said, am not sure how i got back on the net now but any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
    Steve

evets55, Jan 17, 2012
  4. evets55

WAW8

Looks like you got "hacked" during that interval when Norton wasn't working and Avast hadn't been installed!

First thing to do is find another PC and disconnect yours from the Internet.

Once you do that, go to the Kaspersky site and download two items: (1) TDSSKiller app, (2) Rescue CD image. Install the first to your infected PC and run it. This will find any rootkits and remove them.

Burn the second to CD, connect your PC to the internet, boot from this CD -- and use any option to get updates. Then run the antivirus scanner.

Avira also has a free downloadable Antivirus CD image -- which you can use if these two don't clean everything.

Also Microsoft Security Essentials is available for free from MS and is a fairly good antivirus tool.

Once you get your PC clean again, run the NRT to completely remove Norton stuff and install Avast. Would disconnect the Internet and leave it so until after you install Avast.

WAW8, Jan 17, 2012
  5. evets55

evets55

Thanks WAW8. Since my pc is over 4 years old I decided to buy a new one. I intend to follow your instructions to get the old one running again but since I only have one installation place for the 2 computers I am anxious to get the new one up and semi-functioning first. A lot of my files are backed up to what was on my old PC an external K drive. Do you know if it would be safe to restore from that drive, or might that have been affected?

Steve

evets55, Jan 19, 2012
  6. evets55

evets55

Tried to run TDSSKiller but after being prompted by Vista to confirm that I would allow the program to run, it just sat there and did nothing. Any other possibilities I can try. Not an emergency now as my new PC is up and a virus scan of my external backup showed no problems.

Steve

evets55, Jan 24, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question