Non WDM driver for Vista

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by manda02, Jan 7, 2009.

1. manda02

manda02

I am in need of a non WDM driver for Windows Vista Home Premium. It's the x86 version. I am currently using a NVIDIA GeForce6150SE nForce 430 video card. I have a program that will not run full screen unless I've got a non WDM driver, and I don't know where to get one.

manda02, Jan 7, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. manda02

WAW8

Sorry, we don't supply drivers ...

I presume you've already tried the Nvidia site and have tried the driver linked below:

[url]http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x86_178.24_whql.html [/url]

The list of supported devices includes your card.

I don't know whether this is a WDDM driver or not. Generally, the only time the video card vendor supplies a non-WDDM Vista driver for their card is when it is known NOT to support Aero. I've not seen a case where they supply both types of drivers for the same card.

WAW8, Jan 8, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. manda02

manda02

Thanks. I knew wouldn't be able to get a driver here but I figured that someone could point me in the direction of where I could find one. No, I haven't tried the link you listed but I will when I get back on the computer for which I need that driver. The program I am trying to run is a DOS based program and technical support for that program told me that I needed a non wdm driver in order to run the program in full screen mode.

manda02, Jan 8, 2009
  4. manda02

manda02

I have went to the link and installed the driver updates and it still didn't fix my problem. Any more ideas? Am I going to need to buy a new video card, and if so what kind will I need?

manda02, Jan 10, 2009
  5. manda02

WAW8

I don't really think your problem is going to be solved with a newer video card. Anything that runs only in DOS is going to encounter the same kind of limitations, regardless of the video card you buy, meaning, it's probably NOT going to work.

As I said, I've not run across a card that has both WDDM and other types of video drivers.

As to the card, it really depends on WHAT you want to do with the video. Examples range from multi-screen, high-end video gaming, requiring triple-SLI ($500+) xcards with 1GB of DDR5 memory, to low-end, 2D, business activities (word processing, spreadsheets), that will work well on on $50 card out there.

Just make sure that whatever you buy has a Vista sticker on it. That way, you know it will work well with Vista.

WAW8, Jan 10, 2009
  6. manda02

manda02

It's actually Take 1 Video Rental program from Selby Soft that I am trying to run. You can check it out at http://www.selbysoft.comfor more information. It is currently running on a very ancient computer right now, about11 years old, and the operating system on it is Windows 98.

manda02, Jan 10, 2009
  7. manda02

WAW8

Well, their advertising mentions a "Vista-inspired look", so at least they know about Vista.

My suggestion is that you use their 800 number, or otherwise attempt to contact a tech to see what they recommend. They must be running it on SOME videcard; the least they could do is tell you what THEY are using.

WAW8, Jan 11, 2009
  8. manda02

manda02

I have contacted their technical support and asked them about making the program full screen, and all they can tell me is that I need a non wdm driver. As far as what kind and how to get it, they are totally clueless. I think I'm just going to have to settle with the size I've got now until the video software company develops a fix for it or something.

manda02, Jan 15, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question