NoHardDrive, System Recovery

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Diggle the Mad, Nov 7, 2012.

1. Diggle the Mad

Diggle the Mad

So have this Dell in the office that is no longer booting Vista. On boot goes to black screen of death with a blinking courser.

Upon loading system Recovery and selecting "repair my computer" System recovery options screen appears asking me to select the OS or to load drivers from disc. There are no listed OSs available. I can search my CDROM and X:BOOT drive (this is a ram drive correct? It lists full Windows dir as if it is reading the hard drive) for drivers, though I am a lil lost as to what it wants me to locate. Clicking next and selecting start up repair delivers this error:

StartupRepairV2
    ExternalMedia
    unknown
    NoHardDrive

Bios does however detect the hard drive. RAID is disabled.
    Boot is set for HD first CDROM second.

Going to Command Promt form System Recovery Options brings me to path:

x:\Sourses

Unlike the X:BOOT I could access earlier I am unable to access any other directories of root X:.

Tried various utilities such as chkdsk and nothing being allowed to work. Not sure if there is an issue with MBR or drive could be going out. There was 2 times that I did notice that the BIOS did not see the HD. Any suggestions, or better explenation of the X: drive would help.

Thanks in advance!

Diggle the Mad, Nov 7, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question