No Vista after unsuccessful program install

Discussion in 'Main Lounge' started by jryanpc, Oct 18, 2007.

1. jryanpc

jryanpc

I was installing Adobe Pro 8.0 last night when for some reason, I pressed the reset button and adobe was interrupted while it was doing the config. I rebooted and vista get past splash screen but blue screens before it gets to the welcome screen. I have dual boot, so I go into XP and try to troubleshoot by copying over the adobe folder from the XP partition. But I can't overwrite some files. Tried to go safe mode and all the other options to boot into vista to uninstall the darn thing but all futile. Did the repair with the install CD but still no go and tried to do a restore but there were no restor points present. What to do now? I just want to get into vista in safe mode...

jryanpc, Oct 18, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. jryanpc

Jason

Only thing you can do is reinstall, since you have no restore point. Adobe was probably modify some registry keys or other windows component when you restarted it, corrupting whatever it was doing at that time.

Jason, Oct 18, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. jryanpc

jryanpc

So being that I can 'peek' into the vista system file from XP, can I go and replace the previous registry then? if yes, then which one is that .reg file?

jryanpc, Oct 18, 2007
  4. jryanpc

cyclic

Not that I'm suggesting you don't but you have to know what your doing to replace the last versions of the several files that make up the registry in Vista even if you did merge them they wont overwrite the existing 'hive set' which would leave you with the same corruptions you had before or possibly worse.

I think the best advice in this situation, taking into account how long it takes, it to reinstall from scratch. You have sensibly installed XP on another partition which gives you the advantage of saving any data\documents\mail etc; before doing so, it wont take long and will very likely be quicker than trying to 'fix' it up any other way.

cyclic, Oct 19, 2007
  5. jryanpc

kingofnexus

Also a word for the wise: If something goes wrong in vista DO NOT GO INTO XP! The moment you boot into XP all restore points in vista are wiped from the hard drive. Go into vista safe mode, system restore, and if that fails, then you can go into XP as you will know you will not need the restore point anymore.

kingofnexus, Oct 20, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question