No Sound? + my solution

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by tulsatwizter, Apr 20, 2007.

1. tulsatwizter

tulsatwizter

When I upgraded to Vista Premium from Basic I lost sound. Seems to be a common problem. I got the message "no audio output device is installed" I tried updating drivers to no avail.The following worked for me just now.

Go to Device manager

open Sound, video and game controllers

double click the driver

click "update driver"

click "search my computer"

choose "high definition audio device" - NOT the driver

it installed and my sound is operating fine now. Sorry if this solution has already been posted but this has been such an agravation for me that I hoped to be able to help someone else.

edit: Sorry if this should have gone on the audio/video forum. Don't know my way around this forum well yet.

tulsatwizter, Apr 20, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. tulsatwizter

la créme

Are you using onboard sound or a sound card?

la créme, Apr 20, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. tulsatwizter

cyclic

It's a Conexant onboard chip and it is sometimes a bit unruly. I would add that your method of installing the driver was 100%, I have and usually do have that problem with this particular chip.

I'm happy you sorted it out and thanks for posting your solution it will be a help for others who follow..........good on you squire.Your attitude does you credit. :)

cyclic, Apr 21, 2007
  4. tulsatwizter

tulsatwizter

Thank you, Cyclic. A little addendum..this morning I ran windows update which installed an update to the Sigma tel codec. I promptly lost sound again. I then tried to follow my own instructions but, for some reason, was not offered the same options. I was able to restore sound by rolling back the driver. If that hadn't worked I suppose I would have used the system restore function.

I might add that I am no genius when it comes to computers and feel really stupid right now. I've been using windows 98 for years and never upgraded untill recently and went straight to Vista. It seems that what little I've learned is useless now. I am very grateful for these forums and those who post their knowledge here. I've found many solutions here and just wanted to return the favor.

tulsatwizter, Apr 21, 2007
  5. tulsatwizter

cpadd2007

I expirenced the same joy with onboard Intel board and no audio device installed. The solution from Intel was use the Vista driver for High Def Audio. The procedure was to go to the control panel and uninstall the Sigmatel device, disconnect from the internet and reboot. Vista found the device and installed the device and driver. Sound is back and all is well.

cpadd2007, Apr 21, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question