No permissions on files/folders on primary hard drive

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by dtsob75, Jun 30, 2007.

1. dtsob75

dtsob75

I was noticing some access problems on Vista Ulitmate PC. When I accessed a folder on my primary drive and looked at the security settings, I get the following information where the "Groups or user names" should should be shown.

---------------------------

No permissions have been assigned for this object.

Warning: this is a potential security risk because anyone who can access this object can take ownership of it. The object’s owner should assign permissions as soon as possible.

---------------------------

if I access a folder and try to add a group or user, apply the allow permissions and then click OK, I get a dialog box that reads:

-----------------------------------

Error Applying Security

An error occurred whil applying security information to:

C:\AProgram\Code

The access control list (ACL) structure is invalid.

-----------------------------------

if I click ok. it repeats for every folder under the AProgram folder. Then, when I go back to look at a program, it lists all of the users that should be in the list of user names for the AProgram folder, not just the one I added. If I click a folder under AProgram, it shows the original "No permissions.." error above. If I add a user to that folder's security I get the ACL error. And this repeats until I get down to the individual file level. If I add a user to an individual file, then all of the users show up for that file and the security is set correctly. THe problem is it appears to have to be done file by file. THat would take forever.

Does anyone knowhow to fix this?

dtsob75, Jun 30, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. dtsob75

WAW8

What is it that you're attempting to do? There are lots of different ways to establish file permissions on Vista, some involving the use of Group Policies. And, in what directory are these files located? Some of the Vista directories aren't really directories at all but just links to where the real directories are located. So, the permissions will look odd.

WAW8, Jul 2, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question