no modem tab in device manager

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by jenko, Sep 21, 2008.

1. jenko

jenko

I am trying to install software so that my mobile phone can be used as a modem when I travel . After what seems to be a perfect software install

the phone(LG550tu)install process asks to go to device manager and under Modems my phone modem should be there.

Guess what there is no sign of Modems or other devices tabs listed in my device manager.

Can something be turned off somewhere ?as my laptop has normal internet access which works fine but there is no sign of this other modem in device manager or modems and phones in control panel.

Any clues

jenko, Sep 21, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. jenko

WAW8

I recently installed some software to use my cell phone (Motorola 755) in Vista and encountered similar problems. Despite what cell-phone software vendors will tell you, there are at least the following limitations with ANY cell phone:

1) Software must support the specific model of your phone. Just because it works on one LG, or Motorola, or Nokia, doesn't mean it will work on yours. Some of the vendors indicate specific phone model numbers for their products. If your model isn't listed, the software may not work at all.

2) Don't rely on the SW to check if it supports your phone model during installation. The fact that it installed is no guarantee that it will work.

3) Phones typically connect to a PC via USB or Bluetooth. If the first, generic USB drivers are often used and simply may not work. If you have a phone-model-specific USB driver, that's a more reliable solution. If the second, not all Bluetooth versions are the same; not all support all functions. Bluetooth products typically install their own drivers, but the likelyhood of success with your phone is risky at best.

4) Phone SW comes in a variety of builds, ranging from open source to specifically customized for a provider (e.g., Verizon, Sprint, AT&T). The individual providers can turn on or off individual functions at will -- and do so differently for the various models. Thus, data modem feature may be enabled for one model phone but disabled for another model. You will have to check with the provider to see what data-related functions are enabled.

5) As with SW, the individual phone providers are free to enable and disable bluetooth features at will. For example, just because you CAN connect with bluetooth doesn't mean that you can do file transfer, and even if that is allowed, it doesn't mean that you can transfer ringtones. As with phone data features, you will have to check with your provider to find out which bluetooth features have been enabled for your phone.

In other words ... just because a feature (phone, USB, or bluetooth) doesn't work may have nothing at all to do with Vista. Your service provider may have disabled that function in the phone SW or the bluetooth config.

WAW8, Sep 23, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question