No internet

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by barnacles, Sep 19, 2018.

1. barnacles

barnacles

Hey I have a Acer windows vista home premium PC. Had it for about 10 years.

2 days ago I was loading stuff onto a usb stick and my Mcafee (not subscribed) popped up warning me of something, was in bit of rush so didn't read it and just clicked to get rid of about 5/6 things.

My internet went. The connection generally is okay as it works with my tablet and phone.

When switch PC on, the welcome thing takes longer and then the screen goes blank blue for about 30 seconds then the main desktop screen appears as per normally. Then a box appears bottom right saying, "Failed to connect to a windows service. Windows could not connect to the system event notification service service. As administrator, you can review the system event log for details about why the service didn't respond." When I click to diagnose and repair connection, it fails to repair the DHCP client service. No matter what I try to repair nothing works. I did a system restore, never had a problem with doing many of them in past, this one just wouldn't work. I've done various command prompts and hkey local stuff, nothing. Looked in mcafee but nothing.

My local area connection is enabled
    Connection
    IPv4 Connectivity - Not connected
    IPv6 connectivity - Not connected
    Media state Enabled
    Duration 36mins
    Speed 1.0Gbps
    Under the details tab, DNCP Enabled - Yes

Quite happy to buy a new PC, but would be equally nice to fix these damn things as I like defying Microsoft charging for windows 10 lol

Thanks for any and all help!

barnacles, Sep 19, 2018
    1. Advertisements

2. barnacles

barnacles

I found this
    Start computer in safe mode.
    logon on to administrator.
    Click the start button
    Search "cmd.exe"
    Select it and then "ctrl - shift - enter" to allow elevation request
    Type in - "netsh winsock reset" press enter