No "Everyone" listed on Security tab of Public Properties dialog

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by DrJoanie, Mar 7, 2015.

1. DrJoanie

DrJoanie

Hello, Vista folks,

I've been trying for months to make it possible for my Windows 8.1 laptop to access the Public folder of my Vista desktop. I have followed every relevant instruction available online or in Network and Sharing to no avail. The desktop can access Public on the laptop no problem (both machines are connected to the same router/modem via cable), but when the laptop tries to open Vista's Public folder, it gets the old "You do not have permission to access..." message.

When you right-click on C:\Users\Public on the Vista machine, "Everyone" is listed and "allowed" under Public Properties/Advanced Sharing/Permissions/Share Permissions. But "Everyone" is not listed on the Security tab of the Public Properties box. Here are the entities listed there:
    • CREATOR OWNER (no permissions),
    • SYSTEM (all permissions except Special),
    • BATCH (Special permissions only, but with a sort of gray check mark),
    • ADMINISTRATORS (all permissions except Special),
    • INTERACTIVE (Special only as with BATCH), and
    • SERVICE (Special only again).

On the Sharing tab of the same dialog box, the Public folder is "Shared."

I notice that suehoward submitted what is essentially this same question a year ago without ever receiving a response, so I'm a bit discouraged about ever being able to clear this impasse. But I would be immensely grateful for any assistance that might be out there.

Thanks in advance!

Joan

DrJoanie, Mar 7, 2015
    1. Advertisements

2. DrJoanie

DrJoanie

I have now solved this problem. Please see the thread started by suehoward entitled "vista and windows 8.1." Hallelujah!

DrJoanie, Mar 14, 2015
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question