No connection to Linksys router with D-Link wireless card

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by ehren, Dec 26, 2007.

1. ehren

ehren

I'm running a frankenputer built on an ASUS Socket 939 A8N-SLI Premium board. PC Crashed, bought Vista, installed it. D-Link DWL-520 wireless PCI adapter in the box, router downstairs is a Linksys draft N.

Connected fine with this gear when running XP. Connects fine still on other computers (how i'm typing this).

At first assumed it was the unsecured network - i'm not concerned with encryption where i live. went into router settings, put shared WEP encryption with the passkey "lakes," returning the 10 digit hex key "0DE68CB9C6." Used this key with the laptop I'm on - worked swimmingly. Tried it with desktop with freshly installed vista - connected briefly, maybe 2 minutes - then stopped working.

At this point, with or without encryption on the network, the wireless signal is SOMETIMES recognized, but never able to be connected to. Generic Message: Windows cannot connect to [network name].

Is there any way to resolve this? And will I never be able to connect to an unsecured network? I'm a big boy, I don't need microsoft restricting the networks that i may access.

thanks in advance,

Shane

ehren, Dec 26, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. ehren

Jason

Does your router have the ability to turn off the N and put it in G mode? I suggest you try this.

Jason, Dec 28, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question