No Audio Output Device is Installed

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by mulder, Nov 19, 2007.

1. mulder

mulder

For almost an year, I've been using Vista Ultimate on this very system without facing any driver issues, even after doing a fresh install. But a day ago, after reinstalling, volume icon in the system tray was disabled and tool tip states "No Audio Output Driver is installed" message. Alsoeven the "Sound Audio and Game Controllers" option is not visible in Device Manager.

[​IMG]

I have an Intel D865GSA motherboard with integrated audio/video. I tried several drivers but the status remains unchanged. Can anyone help in resolving this issue?

The motherboard details that I generated using the System Information for Windows tool is:

mulder, Nov 19, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. mulder

kingofnexus

Have you clicked the 'scan for hardware changes' button on the top of device manager?

Also check that windows has identified the right chipset for your board (i.e check the graphics driver is what it should be). It may have identified the wrong chipset and installed incorrect drivers by itself.

kingofnexus, Nov 19, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. mulder

mulder

Thanks kingofnexus for replying.

I know there are probably thosand and one ways of identiufying the chipset, which one do you think is the simplest and most accurate? Not too comfortable with opening the hardware and and checking it else would have done this by now.

mulder, Nov 19, 2007
  4. mulder

WAW8

Your board is an "old" Intel board, for which Intel doesn't provide any newer drivers than XP (checked their site -- nothing for Vista for this board).

From their tech doc for your board, it uses the Realtek ALC655 audio chip.

Did a Google on "ALC655 Vista" and found the following:

Realtek ALC655 Vista driver:

ftp://202.65.194.211/pc/audio/6213_Vista_APO.zip

Also, Windows Update "should" be able to find a driver for the chip. Crank up Windows Update a couple of times. If it doesn't find anything, suggest you do a Google to see what's out there. There may be newer drivers than the ones I found in a quick search.

WAW8, Nov 20, 2007
  5. mulder

mulder

Thanks WAW8 for the awesome research.

You're right, I have a pretty old Intel board which ideally should have removed from circulation long ago. Here in India, this is how things work. We get products that have become outdated in the West.

I've already tried the 6213_Vista_APO.zip but it didn't work. The installation went fine but after the reboot, the device continued to be in the disabled state.

What bothers me most about this issue is:

a. How come this card worked fine with Vista for as long as 7-8 months and at least 4-5 Vista re installations (including 2 Betas)

b. If Vista did recognize the card, why wasn't it displaying its respective entry in the Device Manager tree.

c. On reboot Vista isn't displaying the "Found New Hardware" balloon tip in the system tray.

Any thing else that t I should try.

UPDATE

WAW8 because you sounded so confident about the solution, I decided to try installing the driver after reinstalling Vista on my system.

Unfortunately even after doing both these things, the sound doesn’t work. Is it possible that either , Vista disables the ALC655 chip during installation itself, or is it hardware related?

mulder, Nov 20, 2007
  6. mulder

WAW8

My board has onboard ALC850 and, when it first came out, Vista had no drivers for it. Mine is an "older" board also, in this case ASUS, for which there are no Vista drivers. Took a lot of scrounging to get the drivers I needed from other sources.

For the ALC650, I found a newer driver at the realtek.com.tw site:

ftp://152.104.238.19/pc/audio/6251_Vista_APO.zip

You say you've reinstalled Vista repeatedly, including some betas? I found that features that worked in the betas later didn't work in the RTM version, and some of those didn't work when the commercial version came out.

The typical reason why something no longer works is that a Windows Update disabled it. There have been cases of Windows Update installing a "newer" version of a driver that is actually an "older" version -- and thereby disabling a working piece of hardware. I know, it happened to me! If you have an entry in Device Manager for your sound chip, suggest doing a driver rollback to see if that restores sound.

You could also try the newer set of Vista drivers referenced above. There were published in September of this year.

Have you done any BIOS updates? If so, check that the onboard sound is still enabled in the BIOS. Doing the default settings reset sometimes turns that off.

WAW8, Nov 21, 2007
  7. mulder

mulder

I am yet to install updates on this installation. The first thing I did after installation finished was to open device manager and check if my sound device was displayed. But it wasn't, in fact the entire "Sound, Video, and game controllers" branch is missing, so can't even do a rollback or try updating the driver. At this point I tried the driver you've suggested. The "Driver not signed" warning displayed about 20 times and the installation lasted 6-7 minutes; didn't work either.

I did update my BIOS about six months ago, but after that also the sound worked fine. Strangely, my BIOS doesn't have an option to enable/disable onboard sound, though similar option is there for onboard LAN is very much there.

mulder, Nov 21, 2007
  8. mulder

mulder

WAW8 neither of the two drivers you suggested are working for me. All I get in the end is a white colored volume icon, which seems to be doing everything but produce sound.

Any other ideas?

mulder, Nov 22, 2007
  9. mulder

WAW8

Since Intel doesn't provide 865-chipset based drivers for Vista, and the other drivers from realtek don't work, the only remaining suggestion is to try the XP drivers from Intel. If you have an install CD, it will have the drivers on it; otherwise, go to this site (http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/D865GSA/) select Latest Drivers, and then select Audio. Since you have no sound at all now, at least it's worth a chance to try the old XP drivers,.

WAW8, Nov 26, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question