no audio output device installed!

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by toriat098, Aug 1, 2010.

1. toriat098

toriat098

no doubt you've heard this before, but i have had no audio whatsoever since last september and determined to get it back!

so far i have tried the following:

1) I went to device manager and tried to locate 'sounds, game controllers etc' but it's not there.

2) i have visited recovery manager and tried to update conexant driver on the list, but an error came up saying no media device found.

3) i have downloaded the driver from realtek (that takes ages to download), that failed also.

someone please help!

toriat098, Aug 1, 2010
    1. Advertisements

2. toriat098

WAW8

You most probably have an entry in Device Manager that says Unknown and an icon indicating it does not know about the device. Until that goes away and the working driver is installed, you will have no entries under Sound, etc.

The general solution is what you've already tried -- get the driver from the hardware provider site and install it. But you said that failed.

You could try letting Windows Update try and find an updated driver for you. Sometimes, that works.

You could also launch IE, pointing it to Microsoft Update Catalog, and do a search there for drivers for your sound card. Sometimes, that works.

Finally, if you have the driver that you feel is the correct one, you could try installing it in compatibility mode, although, if it's strictly an XP-era driver, that most likely will NOT work.

If none of these work, you will have no choice other than updating your PC with a sound card that DOES provide Vista drivers.

Sorry, but MS completely re-engineered their audio driver model for Vista and, for the most part, XP-era drivers simply will not work anymore.

WAW8, Aug 1, 2010
    1. Advertisements

3. toriat098

toriat098

i have vista!

well so far i have downloaded two audio drivers to try out - what do i do after i have downloaded them from Windows Update Catalog?

i have ran "check for updates" in Windows Update but they haven't came up!

toriat098, Aug 1, 2010
  4. toriat098

WAW8

After you download the drivers, you install them. If they're .exe files, you simply run them. If they're .msi files, you right-click them and select Install. IF they're a set of files including an .inf file, you right-click that and select Install.

WAW8, Aug 2, 2010
  5. toriat098

toriat098

everyone of them after i right click, then open, then continue it doesn't do anything...

toriat098, Aug 2, 2010
  6. toriat098

WAW8

You don't open them, you execute or installthem. You right-click and select one of the options I mentioned.

WAW8, Aug 2, 2010
  7. toriat098

toriat098

i tried that, still the same, doesn't do anything.

first of all i downloaded the conexant driver and this is all the files. i right clicked the .exe file, clicked continue and nothing happened. also, the .inf files i right clicked install, continue then an error came up saying that it doesn't support.

[​IMG]

also downloaded a realtek driver, which came with much much more files, same again with the .exe files and .inf files.

[​IMG]

toriat098, Aug 3, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question