no aero glass on laptop with dx9 gpu

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by johnnyis42, Mar 25, 2006.

1. johnnyis42

johnnyis42

so this is odd.

i install 5308 in dual boot with xp, goes smoothly. system specs:

alientware area51-m laptop

p4 2.8 HT northwood

1gb pc3200 memory

geforce FXgo 128MB (dx9)

vista didn't autodetect anything except the sis chipset and realtek gbit ethernet. was able to use the device manager to upgrade to the native nvidia go drivers (some 5x.xx version from 2004). went to the silly performance rating utility, and it thinks i have 0 MB graphics memory. however, the nvidia advanced driver properties tab correctly reports 128MB.

is this just the performance utility being it's broken self, or does vista 5308 really think i have no video memory while the driver knows i do?

either way, nothing i do will make aero glass turn on.

johnnyis42, Mar 25, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. johnnyis42

Jason

Jason, Mar 26, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. johnnyis42

johnnyis42

yes, tried that, no supported hardware. nvidia doesn't have a universal binary that covers all their laptop chips like ATI has. i'm considering plugging in my ATI mobility 9600 since i have the extra module just to see if it works, but the way ATI seems to support drivers for non-standard OS builds, i'll probably just be chasing my tail.

i also tried to see if the sis AGP driver was misisng, but it was in fact included, signed and installed. that had the problem in the past when AGP memory showed up incorrectly, but i have no way to troubleshoot this since sis doesn't have any beta vista drivers.

but i get the feeling this isn't a driver problem. the native fxGo 5700 driver installed fine, and i have access to all the nvidia features, as well as the nvidia driver detecting the 128MB of video memory. based on this i seriously doubt a video driver will fix the problem (of course that is quite an assumption on my part, since i have no idea how vista has changed the display drivers, user mode, kernel mode, some mixture therin).

johnnyis42, Mar 28, 2006
  4. johnnyis42

Synapse

Have you tried this?:

Forcing Glass on Non-WDDM Compatible Cards

WARNING: This tweak may cause a blue screen loop or constant flickerdepending on your video card. Use with extreme caution, this tweak is really only here for documentary purposes only.

1. From the Start menu, click All Programs and then expand Accessories.

2. Right click on “Command Prompt” and click “Run as Administrator”.

3. Click on “Allow” from the Windows Security dialog.

4. In the Command Prompt window, type “regedit” (without the quotes) and press Enter.

5. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM (if this key doesn’t exist, create it)

6. Create a new DWORD (32-bit value) of UseMachineCheck, and set its value to 0.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I doubt it'd screen flash, as long as your hardware meets the requirements, other than driverwise.

Synapse, Mar 28, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question