No aero effects? Look inside

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Jason, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Jason

Jason

Follow the following steps to help make aero work with your pc if it doesnt by default. Try any and all of these steps until it works for you, some may work some may not Step #4 seems to work the best.

Note: Aero may work in some builds but not others it is still beta

1) Look at the list of LDDM (now WDDM) compatible cards on Connect. It's under the Articles section. If the chipset is on the list, then glass should be on by default.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_32_supported.html

Also check the ATI website and video card threads on the forums here.

2) Start -> Run -> type WinSAT Aurora

Logoff/Restart

This should performance test the graphics card and realise you have a supported card.

3) Get the latest WDDM Driver for your card and manually install it into Device Manager.

4) HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\DWM

Create a new DWORD value named CompositionPolicy and set the value to 2, then Reboot

Jason, Mar 28, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. Jason

ericg

this is very useful for me, thank you very much

ericg, Jan 29, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Jason

Threxx

Is this a way to circumvent the switched off Aero effects for Home basic? I'm assuming not, but hoping so?:D

Threxx, Feb 6, 2007
  4. Jason

Jason

That I don't know. This post is a little old as it was talking about Vista while it was still in beta and mainly trying to allow Vista to force aero when your video card should handle it but vista wouldnt allow it. You can try adding that Dword and see what happens but its dangerous, I'd for sure backup your registry before hand incase is goes a-wall.

Jason, Feb 6, 2007
  5. Jason

VistaRocks

Thank you for that post Jason. Last night i had changed my desktop to classic but then about 4hrs later i went to change it back and i couldnt get aero to work again, only basic. For some reaso the compositionpolicy had changed to (1) so i had to put it back to (2). All good now, thanks. Yes im still using RC2 for now untill i get my tax money back. Once again thank you.

VistaRocks, Feb 10, 2007
  6. Jason

dr.bisho

hai dude i am sure ma video card is succesfully installed

i havaa nvidia fx6200 and 1gb ram 16o sata drive 3.4 ht intel mb 2gb cache blabla

i installed an illegal copy of vista and died 2 make it genuine but still it doesnt display any ero effects

i live in kuwait and ther is no customer service over here ... so it will b cool of u guys 2 help

cya:cool:

dr.bisho, Mar 1, 2007
  7. Jason

kingofnexus

1 - I cant make head nor tail of what your saying.

2 - Illegal copy of windows is what your problem is. Buy a real version.

kingofnexus, Mar 2, 2007
  8. Jason

WAW8

As a matter of general policy, here at Vista Forums, we do not provide support to "cracked" or "illegal" versions of Vista ...

You can install a legit version and use it for 120 days without registering -- and MS has even gone on record saying that is OK with them! You'll have to reset the time-out every 30 days, but Vista even provides a simple command to do that. No cracks. No hacks. No patched DLLs. Just 120 days of free usage courtesy of MS. And, it's quite legal.

Using a pirate version of Vista, even if you CAN get it to work, is asking for trouble you don't want -- really!! It's not like the old days of XP when all you had to worry about was nagging about WPA, or WGA, and not being able to download Windows Updates. Today, Vista has a built-in Reduced Functionality Mode that will render your machine pretty much useless. Do you really want to invest weeks or months of your time in using a PC only to have it suddenly shut you out of doing anything but buying a product key?

WAW8, Mar 17, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question