NIC will not connect, serious problem

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by smallgreen, Aug 5, 2006.

1. smallgreen

smallgreen

Hi Everyone,

I have a serious problem with the NIC on my laptop that I hope someone here can help me with. I had a dual boot of Windows XP Pro SP2 and Windows Vista 5384.4.060518-1455.

Today I removed both operating systems from my HD and installed a fresh copy of XP Pro SP2.

The problem is that since I have done this my NIC (Marvel Yukon Gigabit) reports that the media is not connected. This does not appear to be a driver issue in Windows as the PXE net boot client does not recieve DHCP on the network and when I boot Linux live CDs I also get no connection from the NIC.

I have seen this before when I installed Xandros Linux. It put the card into a mode that acted the same way. But the fix for this was to install Windows again. This does not work now.

Does anyone know if Vista has done this? Or failing that, anythiing about swithing states in a Marvel Yukon NIC?

Thanks,

Stuart

smallgreen, Aug 5, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. smallgreen

kingofnexus

Could be a problem with your router rather than the yukon. Your nic is built in with your motherboard? I would try right clciking your yukon in device manager - selecting uninstall driver, then at the top clcik 'scan for harware changes' button. It will probably reset the yukon and install the driver automatically if you have installed the driver from the HDD, otherwise put in the driver CD. This will check that it s not a driver issue. If it fails to work check your router. If that seems fine perhaps the yukon is faulty, and will need replacing, which should be under warrenty.

kingofnexus, Aug 6, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question