new vista patches broke my PC, can't access the internet

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by maddiem, Aug 15, 2007.

1. maddiem

maddiem

The new Vista security updates released yesterday broke my PC. It doesn't matter whether I install them automatically or manually. After restarting, I can't access the internet and I get an error that Windows Firewall is turned off but I can't turn it back on. It can't access the Windows Firewall Service. I've been using System Restore to undo the damage.

maddiem, Aug 15, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. maddiem

maddiem

Guess it would help if I told you I'm running 64-bit Vista Home Premium.

maddiem, Aug 15, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. maddiem

cyclic

It wouldn't be the first time that a 'fix' has caused problems, thanks for letting us know I'll keep an eye open for any further developments, I think you are right to undoe the updates that way, you may be able to identify the specific one (assuming it is only one) that's caused the problems.

For my part having just installed the 10 updates for 32 bit I keep getting exception errors on starting programs (seems to be random) informing me that there is no disk present in the drive, which is true 'cos they don't need one so I think I might be rolling back myself if it continues, the app still runs if you tell the message box to go away but that's not entirely the way things should work.

cyclic, Aug 15, 2007
  4. maddiem

kingofnexus

Hmmm was about to install the updates now, my hold back a bit until I have more time. I will let you know if I experience any problems a bit later.

fyi i'm running 64bit too so I should be receiving same updates.

kingofnexus, Aug 15, 2007
  5. maddiem

AmericanNightmare

I was also getting random exceptionerrors and even the never ending black screen on startup so promptly did away with the updates. My Vista Assement Tool has decided to stop working as well but i think that's due to my PCIe/RAID controller giving it fits.

AmericanNightmare, Aug 15, 2007
  6. maddiem

maddiem

maddiem, Aug 15, 2007
  7. maddiem

AmericanNightmare

Mine was my own fault i did not pay attention to the updates for my rig before approving the install. It so happens that the optional Nvidia update was for the 6150SE chipset not my 6100.

AmericanNightmare, Aug 15, 2007
  8. maddiem

kingofnexus

Installed the updates, but computer would bsod after the vista loading screen. Booting into safe mode installed some updates then frose. Booting into safe mode again installed the rest of the updates. I then restarted without doing a system restore and managed to boot into windows normally.

All seems well now.

Doesn't sound like these updates were well thought through.

kingofnexus, Aug 16, 2007
  9. maddiem

AmericanNightmare

Agreed,there are to versions of my mobo the VSTA and a DVI edition the 6150SE chipset belonging to the DVI model which i do not have. That's why i set my updates to download with the option to choose which to install which usually works i f i am paying attention.......;)

AmericanNightmare, Aug 16, 2007
  10. maddiem

WAW8

Word of advice -- from someone who has been burned badly by Nvidia chipset updates done through windows update. Don't Do it!!!

I had my HD trashed a while back when I did a simple SATA IDE driver update. Turns out that windows update actually installed an OLDER driver -- older than the one I loaded when I formatted the Vista partition. Why? Because the date of the driver files was more recent than the ones on my machine -- even though the version number was older than the one already installed.

My advice -- go to the following URL to check on Nvidia nforce drivers first:

http://www.nforcershq.com/forum/nforce-drivers-vf28.html

They also have patches to drivers that Nvidia doesn't post on their site.

WAW8, Aug 17, 2007
  11. maddiem

AmericanNightmare

Thanks and you ain't kidding the Nvidia updates are crazy! Windows is constantly trying to give a SATA contoller update for my chipset which i refuse! I can't imagine the drama that might cause with my after market controller card.

AmericanNightmare, Aug 17, 2007
  12. maddiem

Jason

Like said, I only do the recommended updates that Vista gives and I went to Nvidia.com to get the latest nforce drivers. If you install the nvidia ones from their site you will get a neat little control panel which installs.

Jason, Aug 17, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question