New USB card reader install calls for driver for some other device

Discussion in 'Drivers' started by contractor, Feb 14, 2008.

  1. contractor


    Dec 18, 2007
    Likes Received:
    I have been running an Acer 3680-2022 for almost a year. Shortly after buying it I upgraded the Vista Home Basic it came with to Vista Home Premium. This model has an integrated card reader which works fine. Also I use an external USBmouse and keyboard and they run fine.

    I recently tried to install a Vista-compatible Sony MRW62E-S1 Multi-Card Reader/Writer but when I plug it in it mistakenly calls for a driver for a "Silicon Media R/W" device. I checked with Sony support and their card reader/writershould be identified in my systemwith a Sony device name, and they have no idea what this "Silicon Media" device refers to.

    Note that I THINK thatthis is the name of a cheapo multi-card reader that I attempted to install several months ago but could not get to install (I do not even know if I still have that device else I would reference it in detail here).

    I am wondering if perhaps that earlier attempt left some lingering incompatible driver hanging around in my system which now is preventing me from installing this new Sony reader. Also, I am unable to successfully interface with a new Ipod Touch.

    My question is: short of reinstalling Vista how can I identify and remove whatever system file is calling for a "Silicon Media R/W" device when I plug in the new Sony driver? If I can clear that up I suspect that my Ipod Touch will connect successfully also.
    contractor, Feb 14, 2008
    1. Advertisements

  2. contractor


    Jan 27, 2007
    Likes Received:
    Northern Virginia, USA
    You probably have the old driver still in the Driverstore.

    See my "pinned" post on Removing drivers from Vista. That should help.
    WAW8, Feb 15, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.