New to vista - permission problems

Discussion in 'Security' started by lyokoboy0, May 19, 2011.

1. lyokoboy0

lyokoboy0

Hello. I have recently bought a new laptop and it has vista on it. I wanted to migrate my files to it so I added the hard drive to it as a secondary drive so i could access the files and get exttra storage space.

It seems that every action I take the screen is dimming and asking if i really want to perform an action. I think it is called Uac. I want to disable this. It is driving me crazy. I want to be able to run my exe's without being bothered, and i want to delete the files from my secondary hard drive without the request for elevated permissions.

Please help
    -Devin

lyokoboy0, May 19, 2011
    1. Advertisements

2. lyokoboy0

Chamberly

Are you running as an administrator? Using the admin account only request you for 1 click.

To turn off the UAC: Open up Control Panel, and type in “UAC” into the search box. You’ll see a link for “Turn User Account Control (UAC) on or off”

On the next screen you should uncheck the box for “Use User Account Control (UAC)”, and then click on the OK button.

You’ll need to reboot your computer before the changes take effect, but you should be all done with annoying prompts.

Chamberly, May 19, 2011
    1. Advertisements

3. lyokoboy0

lyokoboy0

Somewhat fixed

That has fixed the problems of all the pesky windows popping up to ask for elevated permissions. Thnaks. However I still can not delete files from my secondary hard drive. When I Right click + delete a folder on the second hard drive it says i need permissions to perform the action. The only options are retry or cancel.

lyokoboy0, May 20, 2011
  4. lyokoboy0

WAW8

If the files on the attached drive are from a user account on another PC, Vista will recognize that and request permission every time. The only way I know around that is to take ownership of the files -- and that is a long and tedious process.

WAW8, May 20, 2011
  5. lyokoboy0

lyokoboy0

That is the case, the hard drive is from an old tablet computer I had. I got all of my art off it but it is tweaking out each time i tell it to delete the old windows folder on the drive.

Is there no simple way to delete the files? I could go in with a linux live cd and nuke everything i dont need.... but it seems kind or rediculus to do so as i am already running windows and should simply be able to delete files.

I am the administrator / owner of the computer, do i not have rights to all files on the machine or is there some other higher god permission?

Thanks for the help so far.

lyokoboy0, May 20, 2011
  6. lyokoboy0

WAW8

It's ironic you mention that, because recently, I had to do a repair install, and in the process, wiped out the THEME customization files I had previously working, and try as I could, Windows would NOT let me take ownership of the themese files (this time).

I even unhid the REAL Admin account and tried using that -- same problems.

So, I booted from a recent Ubuntu CD, opened a file manager -- and made all the changes I wanted.

Sometimes, the only way to solve permission problems is to completely avoid them.

WAW8, May 20, 2011
  7. lyokoboy0

lyokoboy0

. . .

Ok so it will fix my problem, good to know, but annoying as hell to have to rely on linux to make up for vistas messed up file manager. I was just hoping there would be more of a premanant long term fix rather than needing to rely on linux each time i cant delete a file.

lyokoboy0, May 21, 2011
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question