New to Vista, just a couple quick ones

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by ViperSRT, Apr 10, 2007.

1. ViperSRT

ViperSRT

Hello everyone,

I just bought a Dell PC that will arrive tommorow and it comes installed with Vista Premium. I have been usingXP and have never used Vista before.

A. Can I still use Outlook as my email? Can I easily import my contacts?

B.Is importing favorites easy?

I bought this PC for gaming and personal use really. Does the system have alot of compatibility problems? Some people say yes others no.

Is it a hard interface to use and get used to?

Are there any other surprises waiting for me? :)

Thanks for any input.

Sorry for such a noob post. :(

ViperSRT, Apr 10, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. ViperSRT

Walker

I believe Outlook is part of office (correct me if i'm wrong). However XP had it's own office so you might need to buy office 2007 (is pretty cheap actualy only 3000kc [~150USD{but my country is technologicaly impaired}] for 3 licenses).

Sorry i have not tried importing favorites as i hated XP...... (was illegal too so now i have a proper version of vista ultimate and am happy as can be)

You might have trouble with some of the older programs and games but most things run great on vista. At times (if you have good memory) better than on XP.

The interface is easy to get used to. It is practicaly the same as XP but with visual enhancements and a few little gadgets here and there.

You might get spooked by ReadyBoost :D each time you plug in a USB device. This is a nifty little tool that allows your paging file(virtual memory) to be split up between your USB device(if compatible [req: USB 2.0 and fast data transfer) and your harddisk which has to handle tons of stuff including creating a paging file. Also you will probably be amazed by the speed of the search function in Vista which is lightning fast due to the indexing service. Apart from that you will most likely enjoy using vista. Just remmember to have enough RAM ;)

Walker, Apr 11, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. ViperSRT

cyclic

Best way to copy favs over is to copy the file to a safe backup place then drag and drop into the Vista location. Older games and apps present little problem, like XP Vista has compatibilty mode, unlike XP it almost always works fine. I install a lot of systems and software and run a lot of games I honestly believe that people who purport to have difficulties with Vista are just not understanding something somewhere, it is without equal the most stable, secure and user friendly OS released to date, if you don't take to it very quickly I for one will be surprised.

Anything you get stuck with no matter how small you might think it, there are always members here more than happy to help.

cyclic, Apr 11, 2007
  4. ViperSRT

Walker

I fully agree

Walker, Apr 11, 2007
  5. ViperSRT

Jason

well said.:D

Jason, Apr 11, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question