new laptop - will it run vista

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by photo, Apr 22, 2006.

1. photo

photo

I think I messed up. I bought a new laptop two days ago and without thinking straight I did not consider the possibility that I might want to buy vista when it is released. So I think I might have an under-specced machine.

I have 1.5ghz celeron M processor, 512mb ram, up to 128mb shared intel graphics - currently at 64mb but can increase although this will obviously give me less system ram. So if we say I will have either 448mb ram or 384mb ram depending on which graphics I chose. My biggest concern is the CPU.

Does anyone have any experience testing vista on a similar specification? I am not that bothered about graphical enhancements, I am more interested in software enhancements.

Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer. :)

EDIT - Also have graphics chip Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML Express Chipset Family

photo, Apr 22, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. photo

Jason

I'd sat buy some more ram and upgrade the total systme memory to 1.5GB then beef up the shared memory to 128mb and you'll be fine. MY laptop is a 1.6ghz Turion w/ 2GB memory and an ATI radeon mobil express w/ 128mb shared and it runs vista betterthen my desktop w/ a 2.4ghz p4 and 1.5gb ram. The notebook processors are faster then the desktop versions. You'll be fine.

Jason, Apr 22, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. photo

photo

Thanks for the help, I was going to upgrade the ram anyway soon.

Interesting what you say about notebook processors being faster. So if they are faster, what would you say is the desktop processor equivalent speed?

photo, Apr 22, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question