networking printer connected via usb on desktop with XP to laptop with Vista

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by rallen, Jul 22, 2007.

1. rallen

rallen

I have a network with 3 computers connected. The host computer is a dektop with XP and is connected to the printer via USB. I can print to the printer from my other desktop pc which is XP as well. I cannot print from my laptop which is Vista Home Premium. I can share files fine, just can't print. When I try and add the printer is says access denied. I've tried adding it Local and wirelessly. They are all on the same workgroup. I have norton but it's disabled on all computers. I'm able to ping to and from all computers.No other firewalls that i'm aware of. I've turned File and Print sharing on, and made the network private instead of public..which it says to do. I've installed the driver from my Lexmark printer, which is compatible with Vista.When I try and re-add the printer, and it asks for the driver information...It has my brand just not an option for the driver for my model. I'm pretty stuck and it's really aggravating. Any suggestions would be very helpful, thanks.

rallen, Jul 22, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. rallen

kingofnexus

This may not help, and you may have tried it but try doing what is suggested in the 2nd post here.

kingofnexus, Jul 23, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. rallen

rallen

Yes I have tried that, saying access denied. Also the part where it asks me to install the drivers, my printer series..which is Lexmark 3350 isn't listed. So I downloaded it from lexmarks site and for some reason it still won't work.

rallen, Jul 23, 2007
  4. rallen

kingofnexus

On the XP machine disable windows firewall and anything else of the sorts, including antivirus's. See if you can access it then. If you can, slowly turn antivirus's and anything else on one by one until you find a conflict.

kingofnexus, Jul 24, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question