network name changes on its' own

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Bayou5150, Feb 12, 2010.

1. Bayou5150

Bayou5150

I have an internet connection through my local cable company. I only use a public wireless connection when I travel each week and stay at a hotel. Usually my home network name is Network 4 at home. I don't think I named it that when I got thid HP computer 1 year ago.....but that has always been the name of the network. Every couple of days when I logon on at home (I don't use wireless at home) my Network connection changes. Some days it will be Network 4....sometimes Network 2.....sometimes just Network. I am not a computer whiz but was just wondering why or if I am being hacked or watched. Usually I go to merge/delete Network connections and stick with Network 4. Today network 4 is not there. Am I just being paranoid? Is the cable company (Knology) changing the name. Anyway, just looking to protect myself. I have current version of Norton installed. I always keep Network 4 as a pulic location when online at the house. Why does the Network name change each week when I get back home? Any answers or advice to protect my connection are appreciated. Thank you.

Bayou5150, Feb 12, 2010
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question