Network Connected: Local Only

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by integra, Aug 24, 2006.

1. integra

integra

I work at a major university’s help desk, myself and several of my co-workers have been trying to get vista working for about a month now, everything is going well, except we can't get on the internet. We've tried it from two different computers, a Dell XPS 600, and a Dell GX620. (Right now we're using the XPS 600).

We can't seem to get it to get an IP address over DHCP. The network card shows up and seems reactive (It displays an error when I unplug the network cable). We've tried just about every suggestion we've found online, from clicking Diagnose to Switching the Network Category from public to private. Also we tried setting the Security Center to not monitor the Virus Scan Software (which isn't installed). And we tried booting into safe mode with networking.

We've disabled IPv6, and I know the drop and the network cable are good. But still all we can get is:

Currently Connected To:

Network

Connected: Local Only

What have we missed, thanks in advance.

Stephen Edwards,

ICT Help Desk

Eastern Michigan University

integra, Aug 24, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. integra

thenjduke

Pretty much my situation except fact when hook directly into cable modem it works. If I am connected behind Buffalo router I can ping www.google.com fine but can not surf the internet.

thenjduke, Aug 25, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. integra

integra

My problem is a little different because I can only get an APIP Address, anyone know how to resolve this?

integra, Sep 6, 2006
  4. integra

xjuliephanx

i can't connect wirelessly to my university internet or through my works wired connection either.this blows... its an awesome os (for a preview) but no internet is a big minus.. anyone try RC2? has that solved the internet problem

xjuliephanx, Oct 10, 2006
  5. integra

Aranarth

I just had this same issue.

I installed RC2 and since the network here is all assigned network address we don't use dhcp.

I typed in all the number but meesed up on the gateway.

I had to go into the advanced properties delete the gatweway, reboot and put the gateway back in manually.

You may want to check to see if you need to do the same thing and hand set your gateway instead of using the dhcp info.

Aranarth, Oct 10, 2006
  6. integra

xjuliephanx

i don't know how to do that.. lol.. i'm nota computer techie.. and i still have rc1.. i can't download rc 2 bc i have no internet access (i'm on a work computer now)

xjuliephanx, Oct 10, 2006
  7. integra

Aranarth

Right click the network icon in your system tray and choose network and sharing center.

Choose manage connections on the left.

right click local area connection and choose properties

ipv4 and choose properties

click on advanced and enter or change your gateway.

Aranarth, Oct 11, 2006
  8. integra

_Mike_

I encountered the same problem on my home network and resolved it by rebooting the router followed by rebooting Vista. Hope this helps.

Mike

_Mike_, Feb 15, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question