Network and Sharing Center - "Connect to a Network" no response

Discussion in 'Networking & Internet' started by Marshall4, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Marshall4

Marshall4

Iin Network and Sharing Center - when I click on Connect to a Networknothing happens. When I mouse over the icon it changes color and underlines so it knows I want it, but a click is met with silence - totally ignores me. Likewise Set up a connection or Network is ignored. But View computers and devices, Manage wireless networks, Manage network connections, and Diagonose and Repair all bring up their windows.

I would like to change my wireless network from public to private. When I open the Network and Sharing Center my network is displayed as public. When I click on Customize there is no response - no window opens, nothing happens.

I also have a problem with Manage Wireless Networks - whenI click on Add nothing happens - no window opens, no response. The button icon does depress acknowledging my click, but i get nothing. Result is I can't connect to a wireless hotspot like at Panera or Starbucks.

To get my wireless network setup I had to use the install disk with my Linksys and its program Linksys Easylink Advisor to add the network and its settings. These problems began about 2 months ago - first noticed as couldn't connect at hotspots. Dell tried to help but deleted my current settings and I had to get it working as above. There final opinion was that it was a Vista problem and I should reinstall Vista!

Is this a problem with Vista - a program that won't run or something? Any way to directly access those programs or repair them if their not working?

Marshall4, Aug 2, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. Marshall4

Marshall4

I ran system file checker and found I have corrupt system files. Failed at correcting them.

Recently ran SeaTools which said my hard drive was fine.

Any ideas on what to do now short of reinstalling all of Vista (i.e. wipe out my hard drive!)?

Marshall4, Aug 4, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. Marshall4

Marshall4

Used in-place upgrade and fixed everything without losing any data or programs!:D

The in-place upgrade repaired the operating system without destroying any of my data. I was nervous as it looked like it was going to wipe everything out and give me a clean install, but in the end everything was still there. Now when I click on Connect to a wireless network it opens the appropriate dialogue. I haven't taken the laptop to Panera yet to try it out but I have high confidence it will work.

Here is the Microsoft Knowlege Base article describing the in-place upgrade under option 1. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968279/

Here are the steps I used to solve my problem:
    1. Used system file checker to find out I had corrupt system files
    sfc /scannow
    How to repair the operating system and how to restore the operating system configuration to an earlier point in time in Windows Vista http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936212/

2. Analyzed the SFC log and found out I had corrupt files that SFC couldn't repair
    How to analyze the log file entries that the Microsoft Windows Resource Checker (SFC.exe) program generates in Windows Vista http://support.microsoft.com/kb/928228

3. Did an in-place upgrade of Vista from the original Windows Vista DVD
    Error message when you try to install Windows Vista Service Pack 2: "One or more system components that the service pack requires are missing" http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968279/Option 1

PS: It's too bad that all these steps are scattered about inside knowledge base articles that separately are not what I want, and if you read only the title you think it won't help, but when you dig deep and take a part of each one you can come up witha solution. Reminds me of trying to do taxes and going through all those forms to find the few you need. For example, I couldn't find an article just on how to do an in-place upgrade, it's buried inside the article on errors installing Service Pack 2. The in-place upgrade option is so important in repairing your install. Tech support always wants to tell you to wipe everything out and reinstall the whole thing (the Nuclear option) instead of trying this first. I'm old fashioned but I miss the days of software manuals that go through each function and describe its use and options. Maybe there is an equivalent online that I'm missing.

Marshall4, Aug 9, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question