Need to turn off read only rights to system32.

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Aranarth, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Aranarth

Aranarth

Hey guys.

Finally managed to get a hold of beta2 and got it installed.

I installed all of our software and it worked being happy, I shut the machine down and left for the long weekend.

Now our software is not working again because we need read/write access to c:\windows\system32.

I tried to turn off the read only attribute but I don't have sufficient rights to do so.

Any ideas?

I am logged in under my own user name and I have admin priviliges. I am not logged in as Administrator. I did turn off UAP.

Aran

Aranarth, Jun 1, 2006
    1. Advertisements

2. Aranarth

Aranarth

I've done to mucking around and have found that we are able to copy what .dll's etc we need for our software using our installer. However when we go in to check the file attributes for the files we just copied after the reboot they are now marked as read only.:crazy: This breakes our security algorithms and the software refuses to run. We get a file read/write access error.

Anyone got a run down on what new security features are in place for the windows and system32 folders? Is this a bug or a "feature"?

Aranarth, Jun 2, 2006
    1. Advertisements

3. Aranarth

Jason

Whish I could help ya,but its over my head. Anyone?

Jason, Jun 4, 2006
  4. Aranarth

Aranarth

I finally gave up and reinstalled vista (beta 2) and problem seems to have gone away.

I wonder if somehow my level of rights to windows and windows/system32 got "slammed" from admin to limited user.

I have no idea how I could have triggered such a bug.

I carefully reinstalled our software rebooting after each one and testing to make sure they worked and our security worked just fine each time.

This might be something for other people to watch if weird stuff starts happening see if you can create a text file in windows and windows\system32. if you cannot and you are supposed to have admin rights (which would allow you to do so) you have just run into my bug.

In testing I have found that before reinstall I did not have the right to create a file in either directory.

Now I can create a file and even rename it. I cannot overwrite the file or edit and save it. I can delete it however. (Send it to the recycle bin.)

Aranarth, Jun 17, 2006
  5. Aranarth

Jason

Good Info, thanks for reporting back.

Jason, Jun 17, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question