Need to reinstall vista but disk in another country. Use different?

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by cliffh, Sep 24, 2009.

1. cliffh

cliffh

Hello

i have a genuine oem vista home premium disk but have left it in my house in Hungary. I live in uk. I want to do a clean install on the original computer, is it possible to use another vista home premium disk and then change the serial number to mine? All components will be exactly the same as when I first built the computer.

Thanks for any help

cliffh, Sep 24, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. cliffh

WAW8

When you say "serial number", you actually mean product ID -- the code you use to Activate the OS, right?

All the Vista disks for the same version include essentially the same stuff, so there's no real difference in Vista between Ultimate Retail and Ultimate OEM disks.

The difference is in the following two areas:

1) Added SW. The genuine OEM DVDs include apps added by the vendor. The Retail DVD doesn't include those.

2) Licensing. The Retail version is allowed to be moved from one machine to another, so it allows reactivation -- at least once, and maybe more than that. The OEM version is licensed for a particular machine -- it can not LEGALLY be moved to another machine. So, when you enter your OEM DVD product ID to reactivate your copy on the second machine, it is very likely to fail. If it does, you will have to phone MS to convince them to allow you to reactivate it. If it does not fail, you lucked out.

WAW8, Sep 24, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. cliffh

cliffh

Sorry, I haven't made myself very clear. I built a pc and installed an oem copy of vista home premium that I purchased. I want to format the hard drive and reinstall vista but have left the vista disk in Hungary, the pc is with me in UK andI have the product code.

Can I use any vista home premium disk and then change the product code to my original product code. All above board, just haven't got the disk with me!

Thanks

It is the same pc, not a second

cliffh, Sep 24, 2009
  4. cliffh

WAW8

The first time you activated it, it sent a hash code describing your PC hardware to MS and stored that. When you go to activate it a second time, it compares the hash code of your current PC to what it stored, if they match, it's LIKELY to reactivate without problems. I say likely because there's no guarantee. But since you're using the same PC, there is a very good chance it will reactivate without a problem.

WAW8, Sep 25, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question