Need to reformat

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by wobbles, Mar 4, 2007.

1. wobbles

wobbles

I'm having a numbe rof problems with my install of home premium and need to reformat, but the problem is i brought the PC with it pre installed.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get hold of a home premium disk that will allow me to do a clean, fresh install to start again (Also this will let me get rid of the manufacturors software too)

Also will my currnet CD Key work with it?

wobbles, Mar 4, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. wobbles

Vester

What brand PC?

[edit] Three hours later. I hate it when someone posts and runs. [/edit]

Vester, Mar 4, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. wobbles

wobbles

It's a packard Bell

wobbles, Mar 4, 2007
  4. wobbles

Vester

I started to guess, since HP is selling so many computers and they don't provide recovery discs with new computers anymore.

Backup and Recovery manager (intro): http://www.hp.com/sbso/solutions/pc_expertise/professional_innovations/recovery_manager.html

HP Backup and Recovery Manager: http://h20331.www2.hp.com/Hpsub/cache/312352-0-0-225-121.html

You can chat with HP support, http://h20180.www2.hp.com/apps/Nav?...R163-2&h_page=hpcom&lang=en&cc=us, and ask how to purchase a recovery DVD if your computer is too far gone to make one.

Have you tried System Restore? What leads you to the conclusion that you must reload the operating system?

Vester, Mar 4, 2007
  5. wobbles

wobbles

Thanks very much for your help i'm ganna try that later and just put up with the PB extra software till i can afford the vista ultimate OEM.

Thanks a lot, i'll post back how i got on

wobbles, Mar 4, 2007
  6. wobbles

Vester

Instead of Add or Remove Programs as in Wndows XP, you remove programs by going to Control Panel | Programs. You can right-click on the program and make your choice or double-click on the program to remove it.

Having trouble removing McAfee? http://ts.mcafeehelp.com/?siteID=1&resolution=1024x768

Vester, Mar 4, 2007
  7. wobbles

VistaRocks

If you wanna get rid of all the manufactures programs just uninstall them then run ccleaner to finish cleaning it out. Works really well that's what i use, i do alot of downloading for testing then uninstall then run ccleaner to remove the fragments left behind, even in the registry.

VistaRocks, Mar 5, 2007
  8. wobbles

cyclic

I must say that reading the instructions is always beneficial, I recently bought a cheap HP laptop for wifey, no disks but a recovery partition and the advice, the first thing you should do is make a restore disk using that option in the start menu, you'll never guess what I did next ? despite being a long standing 'puter builder and fixer.

cyclic, Mar 5, 2007
  9. wobbles

WAW8

When I had similar problems with an HP desktop, I found out that it provided the feature of building recovery CDs -- that could be used to reinstall the original setup. You should look through the info that came with the PC to see if you have that option. Also, if it's not working, why not take it back to where you bought it and have them fix it? Didn't it come with some kind of 30-day or 90-day service? If it did, and you mess with it yourself, then you'll probably have voided any service agreement. I sent my HP PC to HP, they fixed it for free, and shipped it back to me, also for free.

WAW8, Mar 10, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question