Need to move the system volume

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by TB Kane, Oct 29, 2008.

1. TB Kane

TB Kane

Here is my problem I need to move or separate my system volume from my boot volume. I performed aclean install Vista 64 - Configured two partitions -2 GB partition (for BitLocker) and the rest for Vista.What I did not do was insure that the 2 GB partition was formatted and set to active so when I did the Vista install everything got loaded to the second partition.

I went to configure BitLocker and finally figured out what I had done wrong. I would rather not rebuild from scratch... Is there a way to separate or move the system stuff from the boot stuff? I've got a Win PE boot disk Ijust do not know therequirements or commands that I need to run.

Thanks

TB Kane, Oct 29, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. TB Kane

WAW8

I'm having difficulty understanding what you want to do because in Vista, there's only a handful of files involved in the boot process, and they're written by default to the first volume on the drive.

So, what is it that you're really trying to do:

1) Have the Vista boot files on volume 1, the Vista OS on volume 2?

1) Have the Vista boot and OS files on volume 1, your programs and data on volume 2?

WAW8, Oct 30, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. TB Kane

TB Kane

More information:

This machine is becoming my work laptop. It is a Dell E6400 that will replace my dying D610.

After a little more digging, I figured out what took place during the install.The machine came with a singlephysical diskthat had an OEM partition (EISA). The Windows installation did not show me that partition when configuring the disk.The EIAS partition became the system volume.

Diskpart output showed me: Partition 0 (EISA - active), Partition 1 (Vista - boot volume), and Partition 2 (Supposed to be used for BitLocker). Disk management would not let me do anything with the EISA partition. I was able to expose the data in the OEM EISA partitionwith diskpart - Select partition 0 and Set ID=07 OVERRIDE.

After all of this I have decided to reinstall Vista. This time I'll boot with WinPE and configure the disk correctly without theEISA partition.

Thanks for the help! I think we can call this one done.

TB Kane, Oct 30, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question