Need to find out how to enable folders sidebar in Vista

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by bobcat250, May 22, 2017.

1. bobcat250

bobcat250

A neighbor had mentioned to me that a sidebar suddenly appeared on the left side of his Vista desktop; the sidebar had his folders and other shortcuts. He wanted to know how it could have appeared and what I could do about it. He mentioned he had no idea how it got there. I informed him I would check into it later. About a week later, I returned as he had a different issue (he seems to imagine I'm some sort of Windows guru). While working on a different problem I recalled he wanted to remove that folder task bar (for lack of a better term). I right clicked it and noticed a menu with a "toolbars" menu with a drop down. I clicked that and saw a check by what I recall as a "office 2007 toolbar"; as soon as I unchecked it the bar vanished; mission accomplished (so i thought!). When he returned he asked "what happened to the bar?". I informed him I removed it at which point he became very upset; seems he suddenly decided he liked the bar and wanted it back.

Problem is, I don't know how to get it back. Right clicking the desktop does not yield a "toolbars" menu as before; right clicking the task bar, shows a "toolbars" menu but the "office 2007 toolbar" (mentioned above) is noticeably absent.

At any rate, my neighbor is very upset and wants the bar back. I've done many Google searches but no help; most posts think it's the gadgets bar (which it is not). The only other place I've seen this same bar was on a Windows XP machine at my workplace (that pc has since been upgraded) If anyone has any ideas, your help is greatly appreciated. Many thanks.

bobcat250, May 22, 2017
    1. Advertisements

2. bobcat250

AVS Richard

Don't know but probably activate the toolbar from inside the Office 2007 application.

AVS Richard, May 25, 2017
    1. Advertisements

3. bobcat250

Ethan Stark

Hello Guys,

The Start menu of Windows Vista has been improved in comparison to it's predecessor in Windows XP. Unfortunately, opening the programs still takes a few clicks because they are stored in the menu All programs. By right clicking a program and selecting Pin to Start menu (like shown below), a program can be added to the short (but quickly available) list of programs in the Start Menu. Besides the programs pinned to the Start menu, there are also programs (below the horizontal line) which have been used recently.Windows Vista start menu All programs of the Windows Vista Start Menu Default Programs vs. All Programs
    Every newly installed program ads a folder and shortcuts to the menu All Programs (unless this option has been disabled at setup), which makes the program easy to find. This list can be a mess, especially when a lot of software has been installed therefore a more logical structure (like pinning a program to the Quick Launch menu or adding a toolbar to the task bar as described below) would improve the overview.

Ethan Stark, Jun 19, 2017
    1. Advertisements