Need to automatically create users in Vista

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Eric007, Feb 20, 2007.

1. Eric007

Eric007

I am trying to figure out a way to automatically create usernames in Vista. I need to be able to create an image that I can put on a new computer and when the user turns the computer on for the first time they will be prompt for a username.

I also need to be able to do something similar to name the computer. I want to prompt for the user's first and last name and change the name of the computer based on what they have enterred.

If anybody could point me in the right direction on this I would be very greatful! Thanks in advance!

Eric007, Feb 20, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. Eric007

Jason

Anyone? Seems like an interesting venture. Honestly I don't belive it is possible but who knows. It would involve editing installation code and what not. Who knows what security problems would arise. Were you able to do it with xp?

Jason, Feb 21, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. Eric007

Eric007

I never tried to do this with XP, but I have been told that there is a way to do it. Unfortunately, that is all that I know. We never had a good reason to do this before, because computers were ordered for individuals. Now we are ordering the same system for 100 people every year.

I am thinking I could probably write a program that would pop up and ask for the user's info and then run some scripts that would create the account and name the computer based on that info (it would just run from the startup folder and then remove itself from the startup folder when it was done). I really don't want to do this though, because I am under the impression that there is something out there that will do this for me and has been thoroughly tested.

Eric007, Feb 21, 2007
  4. Eric007

Antrax

I know with xp/2000 you could do something like that, I believe you had to image a working system first tho. then you could deploy it from a cd or network resource. been awhile, let me see what I can dig up. :)

Antrax, Feb 21, 2007
  5. Eric007

Antrax

Have a look at Sysprep. This is what we used to use with windows 2000 deployment at a previous work place. You will have to have a good read though, but if its right for you, I'll be happy to help you out. :)

Antrax, Feb 21, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question