need help to use vista installed harddisk in another laptop with xp

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by goutham, Apr 24, 2012.

1. goutham

goutham

hi everybody,i would like to know some information.i have two laptops.1 is HP Pavallion DV2000 (xp installed) 1 is compaq presario v3000(vista installed).my company motherboard is dead.so i took the hard disk out from my compaq laptop and purchased hard disk en closer to use it as external hard disk.now the point can i boot this vista installed hard disk as boot from usb option in my hp laptop which has xp inbuilt?or is there any other way to use it?or is it possible to remove xp hard disk and insert vista hard disk ?please kindly give me some suggestion,thanks in advance. :(

goutham, Apr 24, 2012
    1. Advertisements

2. goutham

WAW8

I can't say for sure, but although you MIGHT be able to boot the Vista disk, it probably will NOT load all the way to a desktop because that was setup with drivers for the Presario not the Pavilion. In addition, even if you fix the driver problem, if either version came WITH the PC, that is licensed only for THAT PC, and will not activate successfully on any other PC.

The only way you can actually USE the Vista drive is to copy data files from it. You can't legally use it in another PC.

However, if it is a Retail license, meaning you bought the Vista install DVD and installed it yourself, that is a different matter because you can legally migrate a Retail copy from one PC to another, as long as you remove it from the old PC.

WAW8, Apr 24, 2012
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question