Need Help To Fix Boot Logo

Discussion in 'Sidebar & GUI Customization' started by Davekyn, Apr 16, 2008.

1. Davekyn

Davekyn

Need Help To Fix Boot Logo

OS…Vista Home Premium/service pack 1

This is the best install I have ever done (or was)…I did a fresh install and followed a tweak guide at http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=166532 which was to very enlightening, to say the least. From there I have been to a few other sites and moved on to fully customizing my desktop/login and……well…this is where I stuffed up…My BOOT screen no longer works properly, even with the original “winload.exe.mui” file replaced.

I downloaded and used “Vista Boot Logo Generator” I loved the results on my last install…It worked well. Upon deciding to do a fresh install with Tweaking in mind, I simply coppied over a Boot logo I made previously after allowing permissions and all that as well as changing the NO GUI in msconfig…ect….BUT

The problem is as follows:……..The original auora background comes up?...and without the Windows is Loading Text???......I mean wtf…I just moved and replaced the original file and I get this on reboot. I have tried making more logos but everytime I restart the same thing. I have disable and re-enabled the boot gui option in msconfig…even putting back the original file does not get it working properly as the loading text is gone from that pic???

Is it something I stuffed up with permissions…or some service I tweaked? I would love to fix the problem without reloading as I have put so much effort in thus far…

Any Ideas would be great…I will try them all!

Davekyn, Apr 16, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. Davekyn

Davekyn

To be clearer on what I said...

Sorry Jack,

I am trying to coppy over a file called "winload.exe.mui" )which I generated via a specialized program) and have it execute on bootup to show me the awesome art I designed for my bootup screen.

I followed the instructions based on the program and elsewhere on the net by first going runing ms-config and enabling [No GUI] on boot up...After restarting and seeing the original vista "aorua background" I knew things were going OK...I generated a "winload.exe.mui" file by following the instructions of the program called "Vista Boot Logo Generator"...and after giving myself permissions copied and replaced the original "winload.exe.mui" in the specified directory.......

This worked the first time around I tried it...However after I did my second fresh install and after I tweaked my system...I have been unsuccessful trying it out a second time...However the second time around...I just copied other the "winload.exe.mui" file from my storage drive instead of re-creating another one...On reboot...I still get the original "aorua background" but without the "Windows Vista is Loading text"...not only should the original not be there, it no longer works properly as it should (as per the missing text)...

What do I want to do........LOL....a solution would be great...but some discussion on why this may have happened would be good too...

I'll check that link out... but is'nt that buble thing...(as good as it looks a desktop thingy and not a boot thingy?....I'll go check it out....cheers

Davekyn, Apr 17, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. Davekyn

WAW8

Did you generate the file AFTER installing SP1? I suspect you did. Were you aware that SP1 replaces some portions of the windows kernel? That's one of the reasons it takes so long to apply.

When you reinstalled (or restored) to a prior version, you got the old kernel back.

So, my guess is that the boot file builder created a file using the new kernel which is in some way incompatible with the old kernel.

WAW8, Apr 17, 2008
  4. Davekyn

Davekyn

Yes< I do believe this is what has happened, I am trying very hard to find a work around for this. I am going to have to learn more about programming, which is not such a bad thing. Since I started this whole thing on tweaking and customizing, I have certainly been scratching the old noggin (head) ;)

I hope others out there can confirm for me that they have the vista logo generator program working fine after their service pack q install...........

Oh well...I'll keep trying

Davekyn, Apr 17, 2008
  5. Davekyn

Davekyn

OK...........

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/create-a-custom-boot-logo-for-windows-vista/

It says it does not work with service pack one at the top of page.

I kind get what your saying, and even if I installed it before updating to service pack 1, would it still not work anyways..............should I reinstall generate the file get it working then update!!!! or will that still be a waste of time?????

I know it's only a boot screen..........but vista aint that great yet...I will go back to XP if I can't get my boot screen....:(

Is there a work around ...aagghhh

Davekyn, Apr 17, 2008
  6. Davekyn

WAW8

Sorry about the delay in getting back -- been busy ...

If you restored prior to SP 1, and you regenerate the boot logo file, it should work again -- as long as you don't upgrade to SP 1. But you also need to turn off automatic updates so that won't be done automatically, and realize that some of the newer updates require SP 1.

WAW8, Apr 24, 2008
  7. Davekyn

Jordus

If you are getting the Aurora theme boot up it sounds like you have GUI Booting switched off.

You can rectify this via bcdedit.exe at the command line, or via MSconfig under the boot tab.

Jordus, Jun 4, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question