ndisrd.sys missing on boot (ANSWER ASAP)

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by moltentessaract, Sep 2, 2007.

1. moltentessaract

moltentessaract

Hey, for some reason i just stared to and keep getting an error on boot.

----

File: ndisrd.sys

status 0xc0000098

info: windows failed to load because a required file is mission or corrupt.

----

any ideas?

(need answer ASAP for school work)

THANKS SO MUCH!!!

PS: i tried using my vista disc to reapir it, and the log says that it could not repair the file so it does a windows restore, which is successful, but i still get the error.

i need it for school, its got 3 of my assignments all due tomorrow!!

moltentessaract, Sep 2, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. moltentessaract

cyclic

This file doesn't need to be loaded for windows to run, but it is a file commonly replaced by variants of the W32\BAGZ worms of which there are several. The important thing is that it's not a Windows system file it's (the original that is) part of the NDIS redirect drivers for the NT kernel and as such can be stopped as a service without Windows stopping or even complaining, if you are running anti Vi software it may have been cleaned but not properly I suggest the following.

Reinstalling the OS as an in place install wont have any effect because it's not a Windows file and wont therefore be overwritten, only a fresh install after formatting would have that effect, however if you can scan the files from outside Windows for example download a program from one of the anti vi companies (Grisoft do one) that will make a set of rescue floppy disks which you boot to and follow the instructions to clean your machine of any viruses.

End game...........I rarely unless absolutely needed recommend reinstalling any OS, but in a situation were there is at least one Worm infection (which can drop at least 6 others)the PC has been exposed to unsafe material or sites and to be absolutely sure of a clean system I would recommend a complete Format of the drive and a brand new install, if the above anti vi scan doesn't work.

cyclic, Sep 2, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question