Mystery window opens with "this program cannot display the webpage" message

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by cards1007, Apr 16, 2007.

1. cards1007

cards1007

This window comes up every time I login. I don't see a program title, as the titlebar is just the date and time. It seems clear that whatever mystery program this is, it's trying to use IE to access a webpage. Does anyone know what program this is and how to stop this window from loading with every logon?

[​IMG]

cards1007, Apr 16, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. cards1007

BermudaLee

Not offhand, have you looked to see what is running in task manager (ctrl+shift+esc), then do a quick Google to see if it's malicious or not?

BermudaLee, Apr 16, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. cards1007

cards1007

I haven't yet, but you just taught me how to find the task manager! (I don't have a Vista machine, just two people in my office who I'm supposed to support on theirs.) I'll give this a try next time she's in and let you know what I find. Thanks.

cards1007, Apr 17, 2007
  4. cards1007

cyclic

Type 'msconfig' in the run dialogue from start and look for a program that may be running on startup that's doing a webcheck of some sort, or disable any likely suspects one at a time and reboot until you find the culprit.

You can check a programs options or preferences to see which one has an option enabled to connect immediately on startup, the program itself doesn't have to be active to do this, programs typically doing this are, antivirus or anti-spyware, Vista's Defender and auto-update, Windows mail (outlook express as was) or other mail clients usually have an option to check for mail at startup.

There is also the 'more information' button on that dialogue page, have you looked at what that information might be ?

cyclic, Apr 17, 2007
  5. cards1007

cards1007

I did try the "more information" on that page, but it just loads another error page saying it's unable to load the document.

Unfortunately, this user has not brought her laptop back to the office since I posted this question, so I haven't had the opportunity to try anything yet.

cards1007, Apr 18, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question