My file properties hell

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by AvocadoDilemma, Feb 14, 2008.

1. AvocadoDilemma

AvocadoDilemma

I'll keep this brief, because I know you're all busy!

In XP, if I have a bunch of MP3 files and I want to make sure they all have the same artist, album and genre file properties/mp3 tags (what's the difference?), I just select them all, and make the changes I want and that's that.

In Vista, it seems impossible. If you select more than one file, you can't edit certain properties at all. You can clear them but not edit them, so if it's:

"The best band you never heard in your life 2"

and you want to change it to

"The best band you never heard in your life - Disk 2"

you have to roll your sleeves up and start typing.

Some fields you can edit, if you click at the end, past the semi colon which isn't actually displayed when you view the file properties later, and use the keyboard, but not the mouse. It's all a bit odd.

If you select one file at a time, then the behaviour is almost identical to XP behaviour. Is there any way of forcing XP behaviour all the time? I have no interest in using the new funky search using tags - I just want to make sure that when I play MP3s on my iPod it doesn't look like the tracks from from multiple, different albums which differ by a space here and a capitalized letter there.

AvocadoDilemma, Feb 14, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. AvocadoDilemma

WAW8

MS redid the way Windows Explorer works for Vista. I'm not aware of any way to force it to work like the XP version did. Suggest you check out some alternate File Managers, such as PowerDesk, Directory Opus, Xplorer2. They provide MUCH more functionality than the new Windows Explorer.

WAW8, Feb 15, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question