My computer can handle Vista: But will I be able to install it?

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by firteen888, Apr 12, 2007.

1. firteen888

firteen888

Hey guys,

Long story short. I tried to reformat my XP computer yesterday. In the middle of the format I got an error saying "cannot install partitions" . When I tried to reboot I get a message saying "no operating system found". Now I can't do anything. I assume I F'ed everything up.

My question is. If I purchase Vista (Vista Home Premium full version) will I be able to install it? Do I need a previous version of windows on the computer in order to install it? Somebody please tell me I'm not totally screwed here!

Thanks guys

firteen888, Apr 12, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. firteen888

WAW8

Formatting erases the files in an existing partition or it creates a new empty partition from unallocated space. So, when you say you were reformatting your computer, were you really trying to reinstall XP? Did you reformat the partition that originally held XP? If so, how did you do that?

Installing Vista may or may not work. If you have an existing NTFS empty partition, you can install Vista to that. But since you can also install XP to a FAT-formatted partition, you could not overwrite that partition with Vista.

Unless you want to completely blow away your XP installation, you need to restore XP before you install Vista.

Vista comes in both clean install and upgrade versions, retail and OEM versions. The prices vary by each version. If you have XP Pro, you can only "upgrade" to Business or Ultimate. Home Premium is considered a "downgrade" from XP Pro. I believe that an Upgrade version of Home Premium will install (if you have XP Pro), but it will be a clean install and, thus, will not retain any of your XP settings, data, or programs.

WAW8, Apr 12, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. firteen888

firteen888

Thanks for getting back to me WAW8, let me explain exactly what I was doing. The computer is anHP media center edition XP. I had so much junk on it I wanted to reinstall everything back to it's factory settings.I chose to do a fullsystem recovery. The system recovery started with no problems. about 5 minutes into it, I got an error saying something along the lines of "Can't install partitions" or "can't seperate partitions" something like that. I then restarted the computer to try again. I then got a message saying "there is no operating system found on this computer, press R to do a full system recovery". So, of course I press R, the system recovery starts, and I get the same error about the partitions. You say I would have to reinstall windows XP before installing vista. If I could reinstall XP, I wouldn't even need to get Vista. So I guess my real question is, how can I get XP to reinstall. I appreciate any help you guys can offer with this.

firteen888, Apr 12, 2007
  4. firteen888

kingofnexus

If you get a retail / OEM that isn't an upgrade version then you can go ahead and install vista no problem, although that error is rather dubious. With the vista disk you could re create partitions so you would be safe in the knowledge you wont have a rather expensive brick for a computer :)

If you can reformat partitions using the XP disc you have then do that, but its doubtfull HP would have provided you with this means.

kingofnexus, Apr 13, 2007
  5. firteen888

WAW8

I had similar problems with an HP media center PC. I also tried to reinstall -- no luck. The HP has this hidden "gotcha" that allows you to create recovery CDs, but you can only do that once, and you have to do it before you have a machine failure. Since my machine wouldn't even complete the boot process, I was in no position to create the recovery CDs.

So, I had to buy the recovery CDs from HP and restore my machine using those.

The HP-based recovery completely reformats the drive and erases everything. So, I only suggested that you reinstall XP if you want to recover the data files you created.

If you don't care about recovering anything, you should be able to boot from the Vista DVD, create or reformat a partition, and install Vista. What happens when you try to do that?

WAW8, Apr 13, 2007
  6. firteen888

firteen888

Update: So I called HP last night. After having to spend $50 bucks for them to even talk to me (my comp is out of warrenty). They walked me through the process of fixnig my problem. I had to go into the "HP menu" by hitting CNTRL & BACKSPACE at the same time, then do all sorts of weird stuff. Eventually it worked and I'm back up with Windows XP.

I really appreciate all your guys help with this. It's nice to know I have someplace to go when I need help. Thanks again!!!

firteen888, Apr 13, 2007
  7. firteen888

Jason

Just pop in that full version of vista you bought and it will install easy. Of course the setup will prompt you to create and format new partitions but it will install and run just fine. As long as its not an upgrade which you don't have.

Jason, Apr 15, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question