My admin account missing after reset

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by eesia, Feb 2, 2008.

1. eesia

eesia

Hi all.

I just received a laptop from my company and I set up a home network, etc. and when I rebotted, my account (under a specified domain) was missing and others were listed that were not listed the first time.

It's almost as if my Domain was removed.

With XP, you could select the domain from the login dialog.

There is no such dialog that I can see in Vista. Is there any way to select domains from the login screen?

I don't have any of the other passwords, so I'm in deep doo doo if I can't select the domain.

I also have tried to boot up with last known good configuration, etc...no joy.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

D

eesia, Feb 2, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. eesia

WAW8

Sorry to be replying so late, but I didn't see this earlier ...

Did your company set up and configure the laptop? Or did they just purchase it and give you a new machine, which you then setup yourself.

If the former (which I suspect), there are so many configuration settings that can be established through Group Policy that we can't begin to describe them. You would need to take the laptop to your company IT folks and find out what they did in order to change this.

WAW8, Feb 21, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. eesia

Jordus

If your laptop is joined to a domain you should have the "switch user" dialog to use at the login screen. By default it will assume you are trying to log onto the domain and should display "Log onto DOMAIN" or "Log onto MACHINENAME" depending on what you are logging onto. But the domain is the default.

If you type ADMINISTRATOR into the username box, it will assume you want the local machine admin and changes the "Log onto DOMAIN" to "Log onto MACHINENAME" below the credentials prompt.

To log on locally when its asking for domain credentials, type in computername/username and then the password in the appropriate box.

You can also type in [email protected] or DOMAIN/Username contexts as well

Jordus, Jun 3, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question