Multiple computer install?

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by integlikewhoa, Mar 12, 2007.

1. integlikewhoa

integlikewhoa

Has anyone confirmed if multiple computer installs are possible without problems? Im looking to get vista ultimate. I have 2 desktops, I am currently running the same OEM version of XP Pro. Can I buy a OEM full version of VISTA and install it on both useing the same keywith no problems?

Whats the difference with dual install on buying say a retail Up Grade, a Retail full? Is anyone of these better for dual installs or is it all the same?

For me OEM full is 200 or under. Taht would be the cheapest. Can I get away with spending 200 for up grading both of my comps? Thanks JIm

integlikewhoa, Mar 12, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. integlikewhoa

integlikewhoa

Anyone care to comment? Just want to make sureIbuy the right version so im not limited after i get it.

integlikewhoa, Mar 13, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. integlikewhoa

Jason

You're going to need two different keys for those two computers. Once you activate the key on one computer it won't let you install it on another...I'm pretty sure...But not positive. Someone has to have tried it and will chime in.

As far as upgrade and retail full, an upgrade is for when you are running windows XP and want to upgrade it to Vista. The upgrade is generally cheaper. The retail full is obviously the full version of vista in which you do not need to have windows xp installed install. Just to clarify, both the upgrade and retail full will install the same version of Vista its just that the upgrade is cheaper.

Jason, Mar 13, 2007
  4. integlikewhoa

integlikewhoa

Upgrade and full in retail i understand, but OEM full is even cheaper then just a upgrade in retail. Whats the big difference there? Is it really just a box? I also dont think that you can only install vista one time. What about when i upgrade my computer in a year. Do I have to buy a new version of vista? I doubt it. But whats the actual drawn line of what you can and cant do? Can I install it on the same machine a year later but, not on 2 machines at once? If this is possible how does it know if the 2nd machine is a 2nd or if its really the first one im upgrading motherboards and HD's on?

I have also heard rumors you can install only the RETAIL full on several different machines, but the OEM can only be installed on one motherboard. not sure if this it true. Im hoping to hear from someone thatwith which ever verson they mighthave, hasinstalled it on mulitiple machines without a problem.

integlikewhoa, Mar 13, 2007
  5. integlikewhoa

WAW8

It's not how many times you install Vista; it's how many times you can activate it using the same product key. OEM versions are cheap because they're limited to a single machine. Once you activate a copy, it's locked to the hash code generated, which include the motherboard, hard drive, and other stuff.

Of course, you can reinstall that same copy on as many machines as you want, but when you go to activate it again, since the activation has been registered at MS, it will refuse to reactivate -- forcing you to make a phone call to MS. If you are "moving" the copy and tell MS that the mobo (or HD) failed and you had to replace it, they'll assist you in reactivating Vista. But then, at some point, your already installed machine will become deactivated.

Retail is more expensive because it comes in a spiffier box (wow!), comes with on-line MS support, and can be reactivated repeatedly without "phoning home" to MS.

WAW8, Mar 14, 2007
  6. integlikewhoa

integlikewhoa

So its ture! Ill need to buy retail if i plan on upgreading my motherboard or installing it on both my machines.

Now do you know if ill run into a conflict with haveing the same activation code running on 2 different machines at the same time? I would have thought i would with XP pro, but i dont. And i only have the OEM. I curently run both of my comps online and windows updated. No problems. Do you think, or know if vista could also be done the same? Thanks JIM

integlikewhoa, Mar 14, 2007
  7. integlikewhoa

cyclic

Simply put, multiple computer installations requires a comensurate number of Vista DVD's each with it's own unique key.

cyclic, Mar 14, 2007
  8. integlikewhoa

integlikewhoa

Thanks for your replys, but im looking for a little more info. My biggest delema right now is i know dont know whichultimite to purchese. OEM (cheapest), upgrade (middle) or retail (most expensive). Im sure theres advantages and disadvantages for all 3, but what are they? I know the boxs are different, but what else? I dont want to buy the OEM cuz its cheap and find outdown the road I can't upgrade my computer (mobo or HD). I dont want to spend 2 times as much for retail if its the same as OEM (expect for the box).

Along with those questions above i add, I have XP runing and the upgrade is 250ish. Why would I by the upgrade for more then a full OEM (200ish). Seems like i can get a full version for cheaper then just an upgrade. Whats the difference? Why is it more for an upgrade? Thanks again, JIM

9. integlikewhoa

cyclic

For heavens sake don't by a full version, upgrade will do fine, there is a perfectly legit method of using an upgrade DVD to install a clean copy of Vista which in my humble opinion is a must for any OS, upgrading is doomed from the start, there are links about the place on 'how to' with the upgrade disk I seem to remember doing a quick run through myself a while ago, if you go down the retail route (highly recommended if more costly) get the upgrade DVD for whichever Vista you want, if you can't find any of the posts explaining how to clean install, let me know and I'll fill you in, figuratively speaking that is.:D

cyclic, Mar 14, 2007
  10. integlikewhoa

integlikewhoa

Im not worried at all about the clean install.

The RetailUPGRADE is more money then the OEM full install. Sounds like you are saying spend more money and get the retail UPGRADE rather then save 50 bucks and get the OEM full? If so why is it better to spend 250 for theUPGRADE vs. 200 for the OEM full? I have no problem spending the money i just want to know why i should spend extra. Whats the benfit or difference? Thanks JIM

11. integlikewhoa

WAW8

There's no functionality difference between the OEM and retail. The only differences I know of are twofold: (1) support, (2) migration between machines. With OEM, you get NO support, period. With retail, you get web and telephone support. Could be 30 days or 90 days -- not sure. With OEM, it's locked to a particular machine, and a set of hardware. If you change the hardware, it will likely deactivate and you'll have to contact MS to get it reactivated. With retail, you can move it from machine to machine, as long as it's only activated on one machine at a time. So, if you upgrade your machine frequently, or like to move from machine to machine, OEM is not the better choice.

WAW8, Mar 15, 2007
  12. integlikewhoa

integlikewhoa

Thankd this is type of infoI have been looking for. Has anyone confirmed/tried this?

I dont upgrade alot, but every few yearsI.Usally every 2-3 years to be exact.SoI should still be able to update with OEM ifI call into MS correct? They are not trying to stop you from upgrading the machine completely right?

WithRetail how do they know if you only have it on only one machine? I mean when you go to activate the samecode for the 2nd timehow does it knowthat vista was removed off theold machine first? Thanks JIM

integlikewhoa, Mar 15, 2007
  13. integlikewhoa

Jason

I always thought OEM meant that it didnt come in the nice box w/ the manuals and support(as you stated). It just comes in a cd case, but the OEM vs. retail software is the same. Are you sure about that activation stuff? I've never heard that before. OEM is generally what a company like HP buys and loads onto their desktops before shipping them out to stores. You'd think activation would be the same as retail long as you have the vista dvd still.

Jason, Mar 15, 2007
  14. integlikewhoa

cyclic

integlikewhoasorry I was talking purely retail were the Full version costs more than the upgrade, I wasn't considering OEM as it doesn't give you any freedom to upgrade as has been mentioned according to the letter of the EULA an OEM install is tied irrevocably to to the original hardware key that the system creates for the Vista key on the packet, it seems that OEM has become a 'disposable' OS, it is the cheapest certainly as long as your happy with the hardware you've got and don't want to upgrade anytime soon.

cyclic, Mar 15, 2007
  15. integlikewhoa

integlikewhoa

Well sound like ill probley get the update, but i still havent found any proof that either is different. Dont even know for sure if we can install the retail update on and updated machine or a 2nd machine after the first has been removed. I would like to here from someone if this does indeed work. I know someone that has vista has tryed to install it on another computer. Whats the results? Thanks JIM

integlikewhoa, Mar 16, 2007
  16. integlikewhoa

WAW8

Jason:

I believe that what you say about OEM used to be true on XP, but MS has tightened it up a lot for Vista. They learned their lessons from the original "Devil's Own" VLK distro, the external add-on of WPA and WGA, and the ease with which anyone could buy an OEM version.

Every activation workaround for Vista has involved some kind of loophole that MS failed to close. The "frankenbuild", the date hack, the timer hack, and now the PARADOX hack -- all of these worked for a while. All will eventually be disabled. So now, while they let you install Vista on as many machines as you want -- without using a product key! -- and even make it easy to extend the 30-day trial to 120 days, they've tightened activation a lot to offset that.

Now, AFAIK, every non-vlk activation stores the product key in a database at MS. So. once it's activated, you have to go back to MS somehow to reactivate it. With OEM, you have to actually call them; with retail, I believe that there's more flexibility.

WAW8, Mar 16, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question