Moving user folders to a different drive

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by BermudaLee, Feb 3, 2007.

1. BermudaLee

BermudaLee

I am unsure where I've gone wrong here!

I have Vista Ultimate on my C: drive. It runs fine, looks wonderful, and seems to be pretty stable.

I have a D: drive on which I'd like to have my folders with all my data. Makes things nice and easy, programmes in one place, data in another. I have managed to set them all up, and get the start menu to redirect to the right place (right click, "properties" etc.) BUT this leaves the "top level" one lost! By top level I mean the start menu item that is the user name. I cannot change it away from c:\users\username to D\users\username How do I sort it please? Should I have done something smart earlier on in the process?

This leads to another problem. When I have guests here I let them use a limited account for checking hotmail etc. I don't want them rooting through my stuff, but I don't want to lean over their shoulder. How do I prevent them getting access to the D: drive bits where my stuff is? Whatever I try to do to prevent access from my account (administrator) succeeds in locking everyone out of the folder, not just people that are not me! I can't make head nor tail of the Windows help, all I want to do is allow one user (me) access to specific folders on the D: drive, and stop all the other users looking at them. I'm sure it's possibleand easy, I just can't figure it out.

Thanks in advance, any and all suggestions are most welcome.

L

BermudaLee, Feb 3, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question