moving files from vitsa

Discussion in 'Recovery & Backup' started by tcseacliff, Nov 29, 2008.

1. tcseacliff

tcseacliff

Hi folks,

I am currently sharing a computer with my sister. how can I move my stuff off the computer using discs? I have never done this before. I saw the transfer program in Vista ,but I do not have another computer to put files , how do you calculate what will fit on a disc, but I can't even figure out where to start, any suggestions??

tcseacliff, Nov 29, 2008
    1. Advertisements

2. tcseacliff

WAW8

It's hard to answer your question because it's not clear what you want to do ...

When you say "move files", do you mean copy files and settings to an account on another machine? OR do you mean to remove your account and settings from one machine and move them to a different machine?

Are you including applications in the "move"? Or just files and settings?

When you say "disks", do you mean floppy disks? Or CDs? or DVDs?

WAW8, Dec 1, 2008
    1. Advertisements

3. tcseacliff

WAW8

If you won't answer the questions, we can't help you ...

WAW8, Dec 3, 2008
  4. tcseacliff

tcseacliff

sorry about the lag in answering your question. i lost this link for a while. I share a computer with my sister, she and i are parting ways, i would like to remove files ,documents and photos that are mine. favorites,contacts etc. i have some saved on MSN folders. i do not have another computer yet ,so i would like to just use cd's. this is where i get lost. where do you start? where do you put the files to copy them ? I am sorry to be such a noob, forgive my ignorance. i wish this stuff was more intuitive.

tcseacliff, Dec 12, 2008
  5. tcseacliff

WAW8

Use the Windows Easy Transfer wizard to save off your stuff. You should save that to CD or DVD. You will not be able to save programs or applications, just files and settings (including favorites).

The links below shows the details. Choose Step 2: Migrate User Settings using Windows Easy Transfer ...

[url]http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc748915.aspx#BKMK_M2 [/url]

WAW8, Dec 12, 2008
  6. tcseacliff

tcseacliff

thanks . I was not sure if that was the correct program to do what I wanted. sorry about my delay in posting. i was watching this forum but did not get an e-mail alert for the subrscribe link, i would have responded sooner. thanks again.

tcseacliff, Dec 14, 2008
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question