Moving desktop only on Ultimate version?

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by jsodren, Jan 28, 2007.

1. jsodren

jsodren

Subject says it all but Bill gates showed Moving Desktop for Vista during his CES keynote address, is that only on Vista Ultimate version?

jsodren, Jan 28, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. jsodren

Tha*Lunat!k

I seem to recall reading that the movable desktop, used to pan around on lesser resolutions, was not included in Vista after all. I could be wrong since I only remember reading it briefly and now don't remember where.

Tha*Lunat!k, Jan 28, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. jsodren

jsodren

I'm sorry but, no what I'm talking about was in Gates CES Keynote address, he showed the desktop, and instead of a still wallpaper, it had a moving waterfall. Anyone know if that feature is only Vista Ultimate?

jsodren, Jan 29, 2007
  4. jsodren

Tha*Lunat!k

I believe it is only in the Ultimate version via something like DreamScene.

Tha*Lunat!k, Jan 31, 2007
  5. jsodren

Jason

That is an animated desktop and its an ultimate extra only available on ultimate. Hasn't been released yet though.

Jason, Feb 1, 2007
  6. jsodren

eralper

Actually, using the Aero technology you can set a .wmv or .mpeg video files as desktop background video on Windows Vista Ultimate Editions.

DreamScene is not default with Vista Ultimate. You have to download and install it using the Ultimate Extras. You can read the article http://www.kodyaz.com/articles/windows-vista-ultimate-extras.aspxfor Ultimate Extra installation and viewing history updates.

Unfortunately, DreamScene was first arranged to realease at 30th of January 2007 but although Hold 'Em Poker Game and BitLocker was released on the prearranged date, DreamScene was delayed.

I'm also waiting the release of Dreamscene :)

eralper, Feb 8, 2007
  7. jsodren

Steventwill

This is not what I was lead to believe. Listen to the CES speach at: http://news.com.com/1606-2-6148197.html<H2>More Vista components displayed at CES 2007</H2>

"From CES 2007: Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates lets product manager Justin Hutchinson take the floor to show off flashy new features for the operating system, including a moving desktop." Justine talks about "Vista" not Ultimate.

Also at Microsoft.com.... http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/100reasons.mspx

Seeing Windows Vista for the first time may leave you searching for words. Many people just say “Wow.” Here are 100 reasons why.

<TABLE class=highlightTable cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR vAlign=top><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=bodyText>83. It makes your desktop come alive</TD></TR><TR><TD class=highLightText><P class=blurb>Windows DreamScene<SUP>B</SUP> transforms your PC desktop beyond simple static wallpaper images, by enabling you to showcase full-motion visuals like home movies or other video clips.</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD width=10></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

"Vista"and "Wow" not "Vista Ultimate"....

I do not see it as an Ultimate feature. I read it a Vista feature.

I'll live without it for sure, but this is classic Windows hype and false informatin. I've always used Microsoft and the PC so I'm just a little bummed. It gives a little more credibilty to the stunch Apple users rant. Make available on all version for Pete's sake. Throw us a bone.

Steventwill, Feb 11, 2007
  8. jsodren

snorbaard

I read it as a feature that you only get with Vista.

No Vista, no Dreamscene. Granted, no Vista Ultimate, still no Dreamscene, but then if you have Vista Home Premium, you don't get Bitlocker. If you have Home Basic, you don't get Aero. If you have Vista Enterprise, you don't get DVD Maker (I believe).

But the point is, you need Vista for all those features

snorbaard, Feb 14, 2007
  9. jsodren

ukwoodie

Windows DreamScene was made available for Ultimate users to download today.

Its quite good but very distracting would be even cooler if I could stream my tv card directly onto the background.

ukwoodie, Feb 14, 2007
  10. jsodren

kingofnexus

If you got ultimate in the first place then there wouldn't be a problem.

Btw having a HD trailer of Supreme Commander running as my background rules!!! Haha to everyone who doesn't have ultimate edition!!

kingofnexus, Feb 14, 2007
  11. jsodren

blackhat

It doesn't matter which version I'm gonna buy. the difference is only 50 euros (home premium: €395, ULTIMATE €450)

blackhat, Feb 14, 2007
  12. jsodren

KILLBOT

SEEMS DECEPTIVE AND PREDITORY HAVING SO MANY VERSIONS OF OS. ESPECIALLY WHEN NEW OS IS RELEASED LIKE EVERY OTHER YEAR.. I BELIEVE THIS PRACTICE AND OTHERS LIKE IT WILL DRIVE MORE USERS AWAY. ESPECIALLY WHEN MOST GET WINDOWS PREPACKED IN PCAND HAVE NO IDEA OF WHAT FEATURES AREAVAILABLE IN OS

KILLBOT, Jan 21, 2009
  13. jsodren

WAW8

KILLBOT:

This post was about the Dreamscene/dreamscape capability that Ultimate has that allows the desktop background to be animated. Your rant about MS practices has absolutely nothing to do with that topic.

MS was very clear in their repeated advertisements about the number of Vista versions and what was available with each. To folks who could read, there was nothing deceptive about this.

There were also LOTS of versions of XP, not just the two that the (mostly ignorant) bloggers and (totally stupid) mass media mention. You don't hear people today whining about the many XP versions!

And, as to your claim of MS being predatory, this is not a blog site, it is a tech support forum. Please keep your MS or Vista bashing to yourself.

If you're going to post here, please try to stay on topic and TURN OFF THE CAPS KEY!!

WAW8, Jan 21, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question