Movie Maker and Windows Update problem...

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by Searinox, Oct 22, 2006.

1. Searinox

Searinox

Whenever I start up Movie Maker or Windows Update, even after I shut them down, the process svchost.exe -k netsvcs uses up about 50% of my cpu and lags my entire machine. The problem only goes away if I kill the process. Eventually the process starts back up, but does not hog my cpu unless I start one of these two programs again. Any help here?

I have started up the Windows Update service manually from services.msc and it does not reproduce my problem. Also, if I shut down the many processes Movie Maker leaves on the background it still doesn't solve the issue. My guess is a faluty service. Can someone please tell me what services are hosted in svchost.exe -k netsvcs?

EDIT: I have narrowed down the issue and discovered it is strictly a Windows Update issue. Somehow Movie Maker was booting it up. Whenever WU starts the computer lags that way, until the service is killed. Any ideeas why?

EDIT: This article http://support.microsoft.com/kb/916089 seems to be the most fit in describing my problem. I have Office XP installed and that's when the issue occurs. Since this article most likely doesn't apply to Vista the most immediate solution would be uninstalling Office, but has anyone got any alternatives?

Searinox, Oct 22, 2006
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question