More 64 bit

Discussion in 'Installation & Compatibility' started by cyclic, Apr 21, 2007.

1. cyclic

cyclic

I have finally got my 64 bit DVD from Germany of all places I thought it would of been Ireland for UK delivery, the length of time it's taken I thought it was on a carrier pigeon from Redmond ! Now seriously..........

I am perfectly confident about installing and gathering the required drivers (already have as you might expect) and checked any software probs. Here's the bit were I'm unsure.

OK first it has to be a clean install, there is no upgrade path from Vista HP x86 to the same X64 version, for obvious reasons. I have a clean primary partition on a different HDD to the 32 bit version where I will install it, the thing is can I install a trial version for 30 days as you can with 32 bit ? I don't want to activate it which will I presume cobble my 32 bit install with which there are no problems whatever, so I really want to evaluate the 64 bit for at least a couple of weeks before deciding to keep it and waste the 32 bit install. I have no interest in extending the allowed activation period (that's assuming you don't have to do it straight off cos you got 32 bit already).

To sum up, I want to install x64 on a clean new HDD, keeping the 32 bit on it's own drive, can I do this and run the x64 for 30 days or whatever before I need to activate with the same code as the 32 bit which I have to assume makes the 32 bit no longer a valid install.............not prepared to extend period or try to hide drives or any other obstensibly against EULA terms, just want to have a reasonable 'test' period before the decision of which to keep.

If anyone can find information about this I will be grateful to say the least, as some will be aware I'm not exactly a novice installing systems or indeed researching, but for the life of me I cannot find any 'answer' to my ponderings, all very well theorising how it should reasonably work, I just like to be sure.

Thank you for any considerations you may have.

cyclic, Apr 21, 2007
    1. Advertisements

2. cyclic

warlord

When I switched from 32 to64BitUltimate, it ran normally for a couple of days before I did a performance check, It was then that I noticed my install had yet to be activated...until I actually clicked on the option to do so everything ran normally, please note when I did activate it made no mention of the previous registered 32bit it juststated I was now good to go,so I would venture to say you should be OK, until you officially activate the 64bit the 32 will be OK...probably had I not done anything for 30days it would have either dialed out on its own or warned me that I needed to do so....

warlord, Apr 23, 2007
    1. Advertisements

3. cyclic

cyclic

You the man......cheers for that, it's what I expected but didn't want to take a chance as 32 bit is running superbly, so I will go ahead now and install 64 bit just for the sheer fun of it.

thanks

cyclic, Apr 24, 2007
  4. cyclic

WAW8

When you hit the end of your 30-day trial, you'll notice it because you'll get an alarming popup that says you have to activate Vista now or you'll go into Reduced Functionality Mode. That's the cue that tells me to run "slmgr rearm" again.

WAW8, Apr 24, 2007
  5. cyclic

Walker

He said he doesn't want to run that :). Anyhow could someone post what their window looks like because my seems fishy. Registration window that is you know where it shows you the logo of whether it is or isn't legal.

Note: rub out your registration details on the pic first. Don't want anyone checking that out.

Walker, Apr 24, 2007
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question