monitor resolution isn't available

Discussion in 'General Technical' started by obvious_hat, Oct 13, 2009.

1. obvious_hat

obvious_hat

After reinstalling windows vista I could not find the appropriate resolution for my monitor. My monitor is 1440 by 900 but this setting is unavailable. Infact, all of the widescreen resolutions are unavailable. Is there anyway I can manually fix this. Also, my computer does neglect to recognise my graphics card in which the monitor is plugged. Could this have anything to do with my monitor resolution proble,? As well as that my windows vista theme has went odd. I currently have windows vista basic and my theme looks like the followingLINK however, my brothers theme, using the same os, looks like windows aero without the transparencies. If anyone can solve any of my problems preferably the first I will be very thankfull :)

obvious_hat, Oct 13, 2009
    1. Advertisements

2. obvious_hat

WAW8

The widescreen resolutions are generally provided by the video driver for the card. You will need to install the proper video drivers to get the resolutions you need. Check Device Manager and see what error it's reporting. You need to find out what make & model video card is in your PC, who manufactured it, and check their website for driver downloads.

WAW8, Oct 13, 2009
    1. Advertisements

3. obvious_hat

obvious_hat

regrettably, I have forgotten the model but I recall it being an ATI model

obvious_hat, Oct 13, 2009
  4. obvious_hat

WAW8

Unfortunately, that's not enough to get the correct driver because AMD/ATI recently dropped support for a whole bunch of ATI cards. If you're is one of those cards, you will need a different version of the driver than if it is one of the newer cards that they still support.

If Device Manager is not recognizing the card, presuming you have a desktop PC, your only option will be to open the case, take out the card, and see what is printed on it.

WAW8, Oct 13, 2009
    1. Advertisements

Ask a Question